Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2019, 03:49   #1

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18
Torqueedo cruise 2.0 for tender proplusion

Off into the nearer future I’m considering a. Torqueedo cruise 2.0 for a dinghy. I used to watch the reviews in the older generation models and wasn’t 100% sold. Any one. Using the newer models on a cruising sailboat for a dinghy proplusion? ( I do have a 1200 watt portable generator that I try to only use for emergency’s or when is economical, but the reason for the torqueedo would be to try NOT rely on fossil fuels as much as possible.)solar,wind and the engine alternator to charge the battery as a live aboard.Shore power stops will be few and far between . Plan on using the dinghy for exploring and spear fishing etc. so I’m just curious if any one using one has any opinions on them.should I expect to charge this and get the range needed for voyageing? Is this a robust unit able to hang on the stern rail like the outboard?
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 04:50   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Torqueedo cruise 2.0 for tender proplusion

The Cruise 2.0 requires a sizable battery plus the power to recharge. How big is your dinghy?
I switched to a Travel 1103 C this summer and really like it. Using it with a 10 foot lightweight RIB. Good range (8-16NM depends on winds and speed) and easy handling. But if you’re cruising you need to have a charge source. We have enough solar capacity meet the needs of the mothership and surplus to recharge the dinghy each night.
If you want to get there fast OR if amps are scarce on your boat I’d advise you to stay with fossil fuel.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 05:03   #3

We have the ePropulsion Spirit 1.0. It’s been great and it’s much quieter than the original Torqeedo.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 05:15   #4
KTP

We just got a Travel 1103C long shaft and it is amazing.

So much quieter than our Travel 1003 because it no longer uses gear reduction (direct drive brushless motor). The battery is now standard 915 watt-hr.

I mean this thing is quiet. Like, at 100 watts you don't even know it is running yet the dinghy is moving at 2 knots.

Worst Marine has a special running right now (which we just missed damn it) where you get a spare parts kit, battery bag, and bluetooth module ($150 for that normally) when you buy a 1103C
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 08:15   #5

Boat: Rawson 30PH

I have also been looking at the EP Carry ... I like the smaller configuration with separate battery concept.

Any experience?
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 09:03   #6

Boat: Stamas, 320 Express, 34' LOA

I have a Torqueedo 503 with a 915wh battery! Killer setup for what you need. You can also purchase a foldable solar panel for your charging needs. When you go online and search, West Marine pops up all over the place. I got the best price and purchased mine from defender.com. They had a way better selection of Torqueedo motors and accessories!
Ahneema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 09:10   #7
KTP

Defender is the best price for some models and for the spare batteries but right now West Marine is the better choice if you want a new Travel 1103C because they have free shipping and the bonus extras (bag and parts kit)

I am waiting for a possible black friday sale to buy another 915wh battery...that would give our tender about a 15 to 30 mile range.
Old 17-11-2019, 10:33   #8

Boat: Stamas, 320 Express, 34' LOA

Good point KTP!! I forgot about that sale. I actually saw that sale on the Torqueedo and let it go by and they didn’t do it again over the next 6 months. So I eventually went with Defender! Glad you said that!
Ahneema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 10:11   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

I had the same thoughts as you, OP, on the Torqueedo sizing.

Coming from fossil power, the 1103 just seems way to undersized for a 310 rib, the docs state is id equivalent to a 3HP outboard. Doesn't seem like it can plane (which isn't strictly necessary) but I'd worry if there is signififcant swell action or current. Perhaps current owners can comment.

The 2.0 seems like a better fit, but it's much more expensive and requires remote battery and could be even harder to charge effectively. The whole thing still comes in at a way higher price than a similar sized fossil system.
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 18:07   #10

Boat: Tartan 28

We have the 1103c, have had a few months. It’s worked great, dead quiet, light and easy to carry. Another big advantage is the ability to stow it anywhere. We have the bag for it, and toss it in the spare quarter berth or behind the settee when not in use. we use it on an 8’ porta-bote. It will not plane, but we new that going in. It will cruise around at 2.5 kts like forever.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 16:51   #11
KTP

The 1103c won't plane but it will start, every time, even after sitting on its side in the cockpit locker for a year. It sure beats rowing!
Old 19-11-2019, 16:57   #12

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Your solar panel must be yuuuuuge

For cruising I don’t see how this quite makes sense, unless you are going to have access to shore power to charge from, seems like a ton of electric power in a setting where electric power is about a easy to make as fresh water compared to a first world onshore situation.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, tender