Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2015, 09:59   #1

Boat: Allied Mistress
transmission flange bolts paragon p25L

Here is an interesting problem.
I recently had my paragon transmission rebuilt and put it back in the boat.
The unit ran great for about 10 hours. ( Ran at the dock at between 2000
and 2500 hours periodically for and one to two hours a week before taking the boat out) The day before I took the boat out I ran the engine for about
30 minutes and went below to check it. The engine and transmission were working fine, but the prop shaft was not turning. I shut the engine down
and checked the prop shaft flange and transmission flanges. What I found was that three of the bolts were broken and one was stripped. all of them went into the bilge.
I then started the engine and it and the transmission ran fine and there no oil leaks.

I have talked to 3 mechanics including the one who rebuilt the transmission. and all have said that they have never seen anything like it.
and were amazed that there appears to be no damage to the transmission or engine. All have stated that they could not tell me a cause.

I have to leave the boat but I am going to pull the transmission next month and have made arangements to have the repair facility check the
transmission. This is a Paragon p25L Transmission
Any Ideas or help will be appreciated
Mike h
taiskwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 10:10   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: transmission flange bolts paragon p25L

Hate to say it but I think he didn't torque the bolts. Sometimes when you don't or forget, they can go all of a sudden once they start to loosen. You might not notice it happening.
I sure would not pull the trans back out because of this.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 10:10   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: transmission flange bolts paragon p25L

I saw something similar where the coupling bolts were not secured and they all backed off. When there was only one bolt left, the shaft was severely out of alignment (2-3 inches) and chewed up a lot of fiberglass before they shut down the engine. In that case there was a fair bit of damage, but none to the transmission.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission