Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 13:59   #16

Re: Transparent diesel safe fuel hose?

If you are in the US, I think you have to follow the law by using USCG approved hose for diesel fuel. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/182.455. Workmanship and installation is also covered by this law. In order to obtain insurance, I had to replace the fuel line in an imported vessel, according to the above law.
cruising_ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 14:05   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Transparent diesel safe fuel hose?

What is it your trying to do?
If a permeant thing, I like the idea of the clear filter without the filter element, be like the window on a refrigerant drier.
If just for trouble shooting, just use vinyl, it’s good for an hour or so surely, but I wouldn’t leave it overnight myself even though I’m sure it would be fine.

Just know that little bubbles when fuel is under a vacuum like being sucked from a low tank aren’t abnormal and may not be air, it could be fuel vapor that will disappear as soon as it’s under pressure and won’t cause a problem.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 14:16   #18

Boat: Norseman 447cc

I want it to be a permanent thing to make the process of draining the filter bowls and priming the system to be a little easier to see what's going on and in general to make finding fuel delivery problems easier. Basically if I can find something that meets the USCG regs as it is a US flagged vessel I'd want clear line from the fuel manifold to the filters and from the filters to the polishing pump and to the fuel lift pump. That would give me a good view into where there me be an airlock, junk in the fuel making it past the filters, etc.

I know they use clear line on diesel cars in the EU all the time, specifically for this reason but I'm bound by US regs for the boat so hopefully someone in the US has found something that works and doesn't weep diesel like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What is it your trying to do?
If a permeant thing, I like the idea of the clear filter without the filter element, be like the window on a refrigerant drier.
If just for trouble shooting, just use vinyl, it’s good for an hour or so surely, but I wouldn’t leave it overnight myself even though I’m sure it would be fine.

Just know that little bubbles when fuel is under a vacuum like being sucked from a low tank aren’t abnormal and may not be air, it could be fuel vapor that will disappear as soon as it’s under pressure and won’t cause a problem.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 15:06   #19

Boat: Seafarer36c

If it were an aircraft, you would use "Polyurethane" tubing. Unaffected by almost everything.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 16:19   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Or you take this different approach: here, you just turn on the boost pump and everything that used to be vacuum side now gets pressurized to 7psi which is great for running the filters and engine and what is normally an air leak causing trouble, now becomes a diesel drip so easy to find
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1182928-D94F-4957-846F-4ED054BC361D.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	191581  
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 19:04   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

An issue at least I believe for US boats and I’d assume others that cars may not have is the fuel components have to survive a burn test.
I believe that is why the correct fuel hose is so thick, not that it’s required for any other reason.

I think for Marine it’s 2.5 min in open flame. Below deck only I think, that’s why your outboard can have such cheap fuel hose?
Aircraft was 30 min if memory serves, that’s why almost all hoses had fire shield on them
Old 06-05-2019, 19:06   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don’t go with those numbers, that’s from memory, I just know that there is a burn test requirement for fuel components, that’s why the Racor has those metal bowls
Old 07-05-2019, 04:21   #23

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Ive used tygon for gasoline on a motorcycle in the opaque yellow variety. I wouldn't on a boat though. It says it's not recommended for fuel.

On my fuel system i put in a small site glass. Very strong can clearly see bubbles. Can shine light thru it to really see the fuel. I had one laying around but mcmaster has them . I used it after my fuel polisher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190507-071710_McMaster.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	191594  
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:22   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
An issue at least I believe for US boats and I’d assume others that cars may not have is the fuel components have to survive a burn test.
I believe that is why the correct fuel hose is so thick, not that it’s required for any other reason.

I think for Marine it’s 2.5 min in open flame. Below deck only I think, that’s why your outboard can have such cheap fuel hose?
Aircraft was 30 min if memory serves, that’s why almost all hoses had fire shield on them
Indeed.
ABYC H-33.5.g
All individual components of the fuel system as installed in the boat shall be capable of withstanding a 2 1/2 minute exposure to free burning fuel (N-Heptane) or No.2 Diesel Fuel without leakage.

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/....H-33.1989.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:58   #25

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

A fuel fire on my boat is one of my biggest fears; right up there with falling overboard, navigational errors, collision, sinking, trama, and storms. Unlike a car, I can not walk away, I do not have a firewall, and the galley, the engine, the propane system, and the stored dinghy gas tank are all clustered around my primary escape path. I don't see the fuel system as a place to experiment with what might be "good enough" or "as good as". In my own case I do my best to follow the USCG and other reputable published advice from those with wide experience. My hoses are USCG Type A1 and my sight glass is designed for fuel.

The book "Seaworthy: Essential Lessons from BoatU.S.'s 20-Year Case File of Things Gone Wrong" is great reading.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:02   #26

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Don’t go with those numbers, that’s from memory, I just know that there is a burn test requirement for fuel components, that’s why the Racor has those metal bowls
The FAA says in FAR 23; Fuel hoses etc, shall withstand 2000 deg for 15 minutes.
Experimental aircraft can use just about anything that works, like polyurethane tube. Rutan Aircraft Factory buries the fuel hoses in the composite.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 15:08   #27

Boat: Pearson 303

Not to hijack the thread, but what about raw water hoses (upstream from the pump, so suction not pressure)? I want a clear hose between strainer and water pump">raw water pump.
sveinung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 21:53   #28

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svspirited View Post
Does anyone know of a manufacturer of clear fuel hose that is diesel safe? I would like to install a few clear hoses to be able to see when there is air in the fuel line or as a way to help see good flow after changing out fuel filters, polishing, etc. I see plenty of clear fuel hoses but I'm having a difficult time determining which materials would be safe for use with diesel and which would be able to maintain shape on the pre-filter side of the line.
Where are you? What size? I have a number of pieces in my shop I'm willing to give you, for the price of postage. tell me what you require & I'll tell you if I can help.
You can PM me. I'm home all day tomorrow, Wednesday, May 8th. Pacific time.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 22:30   #29

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

So there you have it. The nanny state says PVC is not acceptable, but reality says it works well for about 10 years.

I had a problem with some bad fuel (alcohol blend, full of water) on one of the YC boats last weekend. Someone asked me why we couldn't replace the fuel filter with a new one with a transparent bowl so we could see the problem. I replied the nanny state was in charge, and you can't use a transparent bowl for diesel, let alone gasoline.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 23:01   #30

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I see, any rule you disagree with is cuz of the “nanny state”. No possibility at all that it’s the insurance companies. [emoji79][emoji41]
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel