Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2007, 19:45   #1

Trials and Tribulations for today... ugh

OK. How in the world can a fuel filter withstand over 250 ft-lb of torque? Yes, I had to put my huge torque wrench on my secondary fuel filter with one of those 3 legged octupus, clamp, filter wrenchs. The clamp crushed the filter but after removing the heat exchanger I was able to create enough space in get the puppy off there. The filter had maybe 2 tablespoons of water in it but the threads did not look corroded. I am really scratching my head on this one.....
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 19:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Disposable fuel and oil filters are the most overtorqued items on any engine.

Lube the o-ring, screw it in until it touches iand give it no more than an additional half turn - probably by hand.

(unless the instrucitons say otherwise)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 19:57   #3

I had to drill a hole through an oil filter one time and put a screw driver through it, and then bang the crap out of it with a hammer. 89 Dodge 1 ton van.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 20:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Disposable fuel and oil filters are the most overtorqued items on any engine.

Lube the o-ring, screw it in until it touches iand give it no more than an additional half turn - probably by hand.

(unless the instrucitons say otherwise)
Yeah, I brought it up snug with just my hands. I can run the electric fuel pump and tell by the click rate whether air is getting in anywhere. I should be good. I was thinking someone put a ton of torque on it but usually when that happens, the gasket tears off while taking the filter off. The gasket looked good... I'm thinking the filter was on there since 1999 and must have froze up somewhere due to corrosion. Who knows! I was just astounded

Does anyone besides me ever get that, "oh know, what have I done now" feeling when doing engine maintenance? I thought I'd end up with a trashed filter and no way to get the bugger off!!!
Old 23-09-2007, 20:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I had to drill a hole through an oil filter one time and put a screw driver through it, and then bang the crap out of it with a hammer. 89 Dodge 1 ton van.
The Nigel Calder method I was so afraid to try that one!!!
Old 23-09-2007, 22:16   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
At 250lbs, it is a wonder you didn't break the housing or something. The best way to fit a screw on filter is to lightly run some clean oil around the rubber seal. Then screw the filter up into place. Hand tighten will it is firm and then back the filter off again just an 1/8th of a turn at the most. This slackens off the rubber gasket and will make future removal far easier.
Should you come across a really stubborn filter, you can drive a screw driver shaft through the filter and use that as leverage. Or another way is to use a chisle on the rim edge of the filter and gently tap it around till it is loose. The issue with most filters is, they are simply over tightened most of the time. Firm but not over tight and remember the slight back off.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 23:56   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The problem in most cases is the o-ring adheres to the metal surface(s) by heat or longity, especially the cheap filters. That's one reason to change screw on filters every year weather they need it or not. You get a new o-ring in stalled each time.

With submersable filters, just the o-ring can be changed. But I've seen very little problems with those.

With bio-diesel you have to make sure you have a viable o-ring that will stand up to the acids/solvents. Chem-Tek makes screw on filters (Bio-Tek)just for bio...................._/)
Old 24-09-2007, 04:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
At 250lbs, it is a wonder you didn't break the housing or something.
No kidding... I was starting to think someone tack welded the filter on there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
The best way to fit a screw on filter is to lightly run some clean oil around the rubber seal. Then screw the filter up into place. Hand tighten will it is firm and then back the filter off again just an 1/8th of a turn at the most. This slackens off the rubber gasket and will make future removal far easier.
Should you come across a really stubborn filter, you can drive a screw driver shaft through the filter and use that as leverage. Or another way is to use a chisle on the rim edge of the filter and gently tap it around till it is loose. The issue with most filters is, they are simply over tightened most of the time. Firm but not over tight and remember the slight back off.
Thanks for the tips... I'll back it off the 1/8 turn when I go back Saturday. I don't want that to happen again!
Old 24-09-2007, 05:23   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
As Wheels suggests: Pre-Lubricate the filtre gasket on with a small amount of new (clean) oil.
Then, refill the new oil filter half or two-thirds with fresh oil, to ensure a lubricated start.
Screw the new filter as tight as you can get it with one hand.
You definitely don't need a wrench to install the new oil filter.
Unlike Wheels, I’ve never actually felt the need to “back off” the filtre (1/8 turn - he’s probably stronger than I.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 05:25   #10

By the way, when you say oil the gasket, you mean diesel, right? This is a fuel oil filter. I used clean diesel to fill the filter and lube the gasket...
Old 24-09-2007, 07:10   #11

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Yes be sure these folks know it's the FUEL filter and not the oil filter...

I replaced the 2ndary fuel filter on my Yanmar and as I recall the instructions stated to spin it until snug then turn it an additional 1/2 turn (don't quote me on the amount, but I know it was additional tightening). I remember this because it was exactly the opposite of everything I'd been taught about oil filters, which should be backed off a bit after tightening.

Only your manufacturer's maintenance manual will know for sure.....

Old 24-09-2007, 07:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post

Only your manufacturer's maintenance manual will know for sure.....

My maintenance manual says nada about secondary fuel filter replacement. It just says to remember to bleed the fuel system after replacement. Yippee. So helpful isn't it
Old 24-09-2007, 07:25   #13

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
I always worry the filter will pop off so I put a few drops of super glue on the gasket.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 08:08   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
Yes be sure these folks know it's the FUEL filter and not the oil filter...
I replaced the 2ndary fuel filter on my Yanmar and as I recall the instructions stated to spin it until snug then turn it an additional 1/2 turn ...
... Only your manufacturer's maintenance manual will know for sure.....
OOPS - I goofed (was referring to OIL filtre)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 11:51   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Doesn't matter if it is fuel or oil. Even a thin smear of grease will suffice, as the grease does not "dry" out over time. We are talking a very thin smear of either lubricant, so it really doesn't matter if it is fuel or oil. It is not going to contaminate the fuel.

Vonotto! Superglue??!?? You certainly don't need to go to that extent.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote