Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 21:01   #31

Boat: Hudson 50
Re: Tricks on starting an old Perkins when cold

I had a Perkins 4-108 in my last boat and it didn't like to start in cold weather either. I tried a few tricks..
- turn it over for 30 seconds and then wait for the heat to spread through the engine then try it again.
-spray WD40 in the air intake to clean things up. This seems to make the engine turn over more easily and the motor would usually start. Although WD40 is not a lubricant I thought this might be less harmful than ether

If I had my boat in cold weather a lot I think I would install an engine heater. I did this on my diesel Mercedes when I lived in Canada and it worked great.There is an engine heater that you can get that fits in the rubber coolant hose that runs to the heat exchanger. You just plug it into a 110v outlet and it keeps the coolant warm so the engine will start more easily. Just a thought.
Oceandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 06:38   #32

I have had good results putting a teaspoonful of 2cycle mix...ie the gas i use for my outboard engines.. in the air intake. When my fuel control was on its last legs it still got it running. With new control have not needed unless battery bank was low.

I have engine.4-108... in 39' sailboat seldom see really cld weather. Not like New Hampshire wher we drained the oil out of the truck and set it next to the stove overnight
As I have multiple batteries wiring in another 6 volt battery in series will spin her 12v stater when all the batteries are showing low.
visailme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 06:58   #33

I use a little gas..like a teaspoon full or a squirt from a 1 cc syringe.. 2 cycle mix if I have it... rather than either as I hear the either washes oil off the bore.
visailme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 04:43   #34

Boat: 30ft Homemade Cabin Cruiser fg/w - Perkins 4-154 62hp

I've got a Perkins 4-154 in my boat. It has no glow plugs or any source of heat but I always use a blow torch in the intake and it works perfect. I'm in Newfoundland and it gets pretty cold around here.
dardurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 09:04   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I may be speaking through my butt? I believe they make heated dip stinks you may look into that seems it would keep or make the lub. oil viscosity go down in order the make starting easier?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 10:49   #36

another thought is that injectors may not be doing as good a job of atomizing the fuel as they once did. That would lead to harder starting and more smoking. easy enough for a diesel pump shop to test
BruM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 13:36   #37
Marine Service Provider

A quick check on ebay, the unit required for the Perkins 6-354, is $40.00

Kim Hotstart per 751FP Engine Pre Heater 120 Volts 750 Watts NOS | eBay

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 18:56   #38

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Heat and a full battery is the only way you'll start it unless you wait for summer.
This would be an excellent time to install a block heater.
Trying to heat with an outside source will take hours, probably overnight.
Auto parts stores used to sell a magnetic heater that would stick to the pan. While it should spin faster, it's not addressing the cylinders and head in a big way. A block heater will do the job in a couple hours.
If money is an issue, block heaters can be found on Ebay and Amazon.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 20:32   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I really like the Hotstart with the circulation pump. I think I will investigate that for my Altima. Of course it all depends if the OP has 120 volts available.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 20:34   #40

I probably should have mentioned that I am on a mooring buoy, so all the block heater options don't work.
I'll try WD40 for now, maybe I'll look at a webasto system. Used it on semis and it may give me some hot water as well. Had one on my truck that would hear up the coolant in 15 min. At -20C it would bring the engine to operating temp in 15min

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Campbellcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 21:02   #41

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

yep - the webasto TSL 17 can't be beat for engine heating and light general heating applications. you can get em for less than a grand, and they'll tick away and keep things toasty in the engine space if you can afford the battery juice. I also ran one as a space heater source - used a simple closed loop of rad hose where I didn't want heat and copper pipe where I did. it kept a 37' wooden boat warm enough - not a winter solution, but plenty good to keep the damp off and make it livable at the shoulder seasons. In many smaller boats, just keeping the engine warm goes a long way to doing this anyway. that's a big hunk of metal in there...
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 00:03   #42
med

I have heard that on engines with worn bores or piston rings, that a little lube oil in the air intake works wonders. It helps create a seal in the cylinder and raises the compression.
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 01:23   #43
Marine Service Provider

A $40.00 Kim Hotstart, and a $99.00
Horror Freight 900 watt 2 cycle and bobs your uncle.

Or a $9.99 cano either, or wd-40

Or a $2.00 rubber pad.

or a $99.00 dollar Perkins thermo-start.

Wow, you have options!

I am out.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbellcruiser View Post
I probably should have mentioned that I am on a mooring buoy, so all the block heater options don't work.
I'll try WD40 for now, maybe I'll look at a webasto system. Used it on semis and it may give me some hot water as well. Had one on my truck that would hear up the coolant in 15 min. At -20C it would bring the engine to operating temp in 15min

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 06:22   #44

Hooking a second battery in series for 24V will spin that rascal and heat it quickly and wont harm anything for the brief start period. Leave the alternator connected to the single 12V supply.
BruM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 11:51   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Heat and a full battery is the only way you'll start it unless you wait for summer.
I'm not sure I follow the logic here. Ether will definitely do the job. It might not be great for the engine- but it works every time.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins