Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2015, 08:32   #76

Re: Tricks on starting an old Perkins when cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
It's nothing other than a 100-150 watt heating element in a fancy plastic cover. A light bulb will do the same thing with the added benefit of light.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yeah, used light bulbs for years. Finally got tired of them burning out regularly, even tried the severe service ones. Bit the bullet and bought a couple of these. They are reliable and never burn out. ... that and incandescent bulbs are becoming extinct in the US.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 08:40   #77

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by med View Post
I have heard that on engines with worn bores or piston rings, that a little lube oil in the air intake works wonders. It helps create a seal in the cylinder and raises the compression.
Which gets blown out on the first stroke.

You will see a difference on gasoline engines when you do a dry and wet (a little oil squirted in each cylinder) compression test. This lets you evaluate whether you have ring sealing issues or poor sealing valves for example.

Diesel is an oil so less of an effect.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 12:26   #78

and incandescent bulbs are becoming extinct in the US.[/QUOTE]

which is sadness itself
johnb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 12:40   #79

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, used light bulbs for years. Finally got tired of them burning out regularly, even tried the severe service ones. Bit the bullet and bought a couple of these. They are reliable and never burn out. ... that and incandescent bulbs are becoming extinct in the US.
And to my amassment, they put out white light.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 18:46   #80

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Tricks on starting an old Perkins when cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyinframes View Post
@NSboatman

The engine started without much issues.

It took 5-6 cranks and then it roared into life.

I did spray some silicon based spray as all the water around the boat is iced. 8" of ice.

Kept the oil sump warm throughout the night.

Directed a 1000W air heater into the intake while giving starts. The blower is pretty hot.

in addition, I heated other parts of the engine with the heater for 20 min before i started turning the key.

Just realised my previous owners had got done 1500 $ job on the injectors and pistons last year.

But it was a relatively warm day today. There is going to 6"-8" of snow tonight. so tomorrow is going to be cold again. So i will check again tomorrow.

I keep in mind all your tricks and what others have mentioned. Its in my little diary.

thanks for all the support

Really , plumb an engine coolant heater into the antifreeze loop, it'll heat the head in 30 min, and keep the entire engine at up to 175 degrees if you want.
Also when you don't have shore power, you plug it into your inverter or generator on board, when you want yo cold start on the hook.
Super easy.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:21   #81

DO NOT put oil in the intake!!! It will all run to the 1st cylinder that is available and hydraulic that cylinder! or will puddle some where in the intake and wait until the engine is started and then be sucked into the engine and you will have a RUNAWAY because you will not be unable to stop the unregulated fuel (oil)
what most every one has said is good info, assuming every thing else is ok starting an engine with ether is the last resort,if WD40 does not work alone you could heat a heavy metal object on a stove,( assuming you are away from the dock )in my case it was a chisel, holding it with pliers hold it in the intake and spray the wd onto the chisel this will cause a beautiful cloud of atomized hot fuel to be sucked into the engine,once running the engine can be kept running using an intermittent spray even if there is no fuel to the engine. it should be noted also that the spray nozzle is used not the squirt tube so as to atomize the wd better and the direction it is sprayed into the the intake helps prevent one cylinder from getting all the fuel
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:54   #82

WD 40 is a solvent not a lube. Spraying anything flammable onto hot letal is an invitation to explosion.. Have you tried the 24V boost suggested earlier???
BruM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:14   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You guy's are all overthinking this
Just spray a quick shot of either into the intake when it's turning over and it will start. Been done forever on Diesels, Many farm tractors came with ether start, it was a can with a small hose connected to the intake and a solenoid, when the engine was turning over, a couple of shots of ether and the engine would come to life, if it was really cold a couple of shots when they first started to keep them running.
Talk to old truck drivers about how they get them running when they are cold, only caution with ether is never use it in an engine with glow plugs, it can light off when it hits a hot glow plug and that can be bad.
Ether used is in such small quantity and for such a short duration it won't wash off oil from the cylinders etc. Truth is there is essentially no oil on the cylinders of a non running engine anyway, it's get there by the crankshaft slinging oil around in a running engine, when off it drains back into the pan. All starting fluid I've bought also on the can will say "contains upper cylinder lubricant" anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:17   #84

while I do agree that WD40 is mostly a solvent and I think the propellants are most likely what help start the combustion being a master mechanic of 30 + years the sound of a late model diesel being started on ether is like a spinal tap to me and much prefer the wd, many old low tolerance, slow turning, low compression, tired, diesels may need ether if that is the only way !
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:20   #85

Have you changed to a winter weight oil such as 15W40 or even 10W30?
BruM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:54   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You guy's are all overthinking this
Just spray a quick shot of either into the intake when it's turning over and it will start. Been done forever on Diesels, Many farm tractors came with ether start, it was a can with a small hose connected to the intake and a solenoid, when the engine was turning over, a couple of shots of ether and the engine would come to life, if it was really cold a couple of shots when they first started to keep them running.
Talk to old truck drivers about how they get them running when they are cold, only caution with ether is never use it in an engine with glow plugs, it can light off when it hits a hot glow plug and that can be bad.
Ether used is in such small quantity and for such a short duration it won't wash off oil from the cylinders etc. Truth is there is essentially no oil on the cylinders of a non running engine anyway, it's get there by the crankshaft slinging oil around in a running engine, when off it drains back into the pan. All starting fluid I've bought also on the can will say "contains upper cylinder lubricant" anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

So I wired up a switch in the engine compartment to engage the starter. Cracked the throttle to half, took the intake cover off, turned the engine over and when it failed to catch, I gave it a quick shot of ether. Used very little and worked great. Next time I'm down there I'll try WD40 and let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Campbellcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins