Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 06:22   #16

Re: Trouble removing fuel injection pump from Universal 5411

Having a runaway engine is frightening experience and really triggers the fight or flight reflex, congratulations on passing the test. On our marina a 2GM20 ran away as did the guy working on the engine , it too was stopped by cutting off the fuel.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:11   #17

Thank you, yes, it was a test in staying calm and thinking while dealing with the little known and potentially explosive, in cost and reality.

I re-installed the pump yesterday, more to get the experience putting everything back together and figuring out the details while under less pressure. Although, the weather was supposed to go bad so it was supposed to be a short visit. However, everything went back together pretty smoothly and I tried to clean everything before reattaching by using PB Blaster and its straw to "blow" everything out, especially the connection ports for the injection pump and injectors. That port aft bolt on the injection pump is still difficult, I think the solution is an offset wrench but Harbor Freight was out of metric.

So, I decided to try to start it. After many efforts to get it started, I decided to bleed the fuel. I guess even the amount of air introduced between the fuel filter and the injection pump can cause a problem. It started and _didn't_ run away. I can tell you now, from very personal experience, that that difference is night and day, almost a shock. I tried the throttle and as hoped, the engine sped up and slowed down. I let it run for a couple of minutes to heat up and then, lo and behold, used the shutoff position and the engine stopped. After momentarily savoring the relief, I tried to start the engine again and same results. I even quickly opened the throttle to full speed just to make sure it wouldn't stick there even though I had checked the rack movement and it was free end to end.

In the end, my theory/hope is that the stuck rack was actually a stuck fork. The old built up oil gunk that was then allowed to sit and bake for years. Now that I recall, when I was tapping at the rack to remove the pump, it didn't just "break free" but was more that marshy resistant feeling of, well, the best example I can think of is lawn mower parts that have a build up of oil and dirt.

Thank you gentlemen for your support. I'll be posting more details and pictures so that a search engine can find it and direct the next distraught soul here. Now, to epoxy/glass the keel fairing and _maybe_, fingers crossed, actually splash her this summer. :hope:
sloopwjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:53   #18

Thanks for the update, well done.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, pump