Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2016, 04:22   #1

Boat: Lagoon 39
Trouble removing Retention ring fuel filter 3YM30

Looking for suggestions for removing a retention ring that holds the fuel filter on a Yanmar 3YM30 engine.

I purchased the boat four months back and had a Yanmar mechanic change the fuel filters, oil, etc on both of my 3YM30 diesel engines. Now is my turn to change the filters myself and I'm having great difficulty in getting loose the retention ring holding the fuel filter cannister.

The owners' manual instructs to turn counter-clockwise. Its hard to get my universal filter wrench on the ring but using a fair amount of torque haven't been able to loosen. I tapped on the edges with a flat head screwdriver and also failed to loosen the ring. The manual mentions a filter wrench but not a part number and neither I nor Budget marine have been able to locate a filter wrench part number so as to order?

Yes, I can pay a diesel mechanic to make the changes again, but I really need to be able to change these filters myself. I'm considering removing the fuel filter from the engine entirely so as to get a wrench of both the retention ring and the filter mounting bracket but thinking this shouldn't be necessary to change the filter.

Manual recommends changing filters every 250 hrs.
faa50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 05:00   #2

Re: Trouble removing Retention ring fuel filter 3YM30

counter-clockwise in relation to the filter IF you are looking down on the filter it will be clockwise if its the filter I invision
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 06:09   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Have you got one of these?

Old 20-07-2016, 06:32   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Does the filter housing look like this one

In this case, you would want to turn the ring clockwise when looking from above.
Another trick is to wrap a cotton rag around the retaining ring and then pour on hot hot water, that might be enough to expand the ring enough to loosen it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	128110  
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 08:14   #5

Boat: Windward Marine Searaker 50

Try a flat tip screwdriver or drift punch and place against one of the indentions of the retaining ring and tap gently in the correct direction. That should be enough to get it started.
wgoodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 08:21   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoodbye View Post
Try a flat tip screwdriver or drift punch and place against one of the indentions of the retaining ring and tap gently in the correct direction. That should be enough to get it started.
This is what I have always done, then on re-installation, just a little silicone grease on the threads, and it does not have to be stupid tight, just snug. Only reason I use silicone is it's clean and won't stain, any grease would do.

The wrench looks like a half circle with a nub on the top of the circle, it hooks into one of the indention's, it's not like a water filter wrench that grabs all of the indention's.
Least the wrench I had was like this, I have also used a pipe wrench with a piece of leather, the pipe wrench will apply lots of force and the leather won't mar the ring, but it does not need to be that tight that it takes excessive force to remove, just like a spin on oil filter, if you can get to them, if installed correctly you should be able to remove by hand. I have had to drive a screwdriver through one every now and again people have cranked them down so tight.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 08:24   #7

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

my yanmar is so hard to access .Sometimes when I want to be sure I get the o-rings correct I take the whole canister off and work on the bench. Its only two bolts
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 08:26   #8

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

W goodbye does ir as I do with a long small screwdriver and a small toy mallet
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 08:50   #9

Boat: Catalina 320

I use a pair of what we use to call "water pump" pliers, they also work to break free a stuck speed transducer.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 13:22   #10
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I use a pair of what we use to call "water pump" pliers, they also work to break free a stuck speed transducer.
The original name for that tool is channel lock pliers
Old 20-07-2016, 18:26   #11

Use a drift as others have suggested preferably not a sharp ended tool but more of a bull nosed shape. Use a HEAVY hammer such as a 4lb maul or similar, using a couple of SOLID blows will do the job.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 18:34   #12

My first approach to the problem would be to put my biggest flat screwdriver on it and tap. Already suggested, though.

My previous boat had a yanmar with the same filter setup, and I recall that the LAST thing you want to do is use channel lock pliers on it, as it's very easy to make the retaining ring egg-shaped (resulting in leaks). Yes, I get that some are successful using channel locks for this, but this is the gospel according to Yanmar.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 20:32   #13

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

... and three fuel lines but still One time when it was too hard. The channel locks didn't feel good and I didn't want to buger up the ring. also the unit felt weak like the mount bracket could snap. So again, Its pretty easy to take the unit off and fix it up. so it won't be so stuck next time
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 16:58   #14

Boat: Lagoon 39

Thanks to everyone for your replies. It seems that I am turning the wrong direction (I was turning counter-clockwise looking from above. I also obtained Yanmar's specific filter wrench for this model which should arrive in a couple of days in Grenada. I have two to change - hope all goes well!
faa50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:52   #15

Boat: Beneteau/343

Since we are on the topic of fuel filters.....

Which model is the filter element? I can't find it in the documentation and the guy at west marine was stymied.

While we are at it, which model is the impeller?

This is for the 3ym30
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3ym30, fuel, fuel filter