Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2019, 17:40   #16

Boat: S2 9.1
Re: Troubleshooting diesel fuel systems with an outboard squeeze bulb

Mine is right at the outlet on my diesel tank, has been there about 10 years and works great. Any work on the fuel system and I just open the little vent at the top of my 2 micron filter at the engine and pump until fuel comes out. Close the vent and start the engine.

Diesel is really an oil distillate, like kerosene and jet fuel, from my limited chemistry, gasoline has a lot more nasties in it that would attack a rubber bulb, so I am not worried about using on on diesel.
Gary Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 17:43   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I did mine exactly the same way as deblen (^^).

Pressurising the fuel though the various components of the fuel delivery system is always better than sucking it though and makes troubleshooting much easier.

Finding where fuel is dripping out is better than looking to where air is getting sucked in .

Nice to see your first post, JeffOnTheBoat!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:18   #18

Seaboard Marine sells a nice squeeze bulb kit, everything you’ll need to install this valuable piece, as well as three small valves to isolate the bulb when not in use.
I install it between the tank and primary filters, as it seems to like to push rather than pull, especially if there’s a lot of air to remove, as on a filter change.
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:49   #19

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
I too have a 3/8" replacement bulb plumbed permanently for the same purposes. I worry a bit about it. A while ago,there was a story going around that the o/b primer bulbs may "rot" when used with diesel fuel. Mine has been in service for 5 yrs & seems ok. Any comments? / Len
I bought my first squeeze bulb to check out my Beta repower in 2010. I removed it from the system after everything ran fine, because I didn't need it for normal operation and I had some concerns about it in case of a fire. I brought that bulb out of retirement in April to replace a bad bulb for a YC outboard. The 9 year old bulb looks and acts like a new one, but it has been stored out of the sun with some residual diesel in it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:06   #20

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I bought my first squeeze bulb to check out my Beta repower in 2010. I removed it from the system after everything ran fine, because I didn't need it for normal operation and I had some concerns about it in case of a fire. I brought that bulb out of retirement in April to replace a bad bulb for a YC outboard. The 9 year old bulb looks and acts like a new one, but it has been stored out of the sun with some residual diesel in it.

Fire melting the fuel line is a valid concern. Isn't that why they put metal "pots/shields" on the bottom of latest Racors?
I considered the extra risk. I rigged a remote tank shutoff control,installed a "Fireport" & bought a 5lb? CO2 extinguisher. Hope for the best. / Len

Tags
diesel, fuel, outboard