Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2022, 22:54   #16

Boat: 40' custom catamaran
Re: Twin Volvo Penta KAD 300 engines in new-to-me catamaran

@NBs: Volvo no longer make the gasket you referred me to. Their solution is a tube of Volvo sealant! Apparently, there are some tricks to using this to make a decent oil seal. We are going up on the slip on November 14 (a bit late, but slips are problematic in our area). I will report back.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 23:17   #17

Boat: 40' custom catamaran
Re: Twin Volvo Penta KAD 300 engines in new-to-me catamaran

Spent all day with the mechanic (the excellent Lindsay Sperring from All Diesels Marine, based in Conjola) adjusting the valves on the two KAD-300s and the Yanmar that drives the Kohler genset, all while tied up to the main wharf here. As well, Lindsay was able to remove both Volvo valve covers preserving the original gasket, so a smear of the Volvo sealant after cleaning means we feel the engines will be oil-tight. Testing tomorrow.

All valves were within a few thou of spec (0.016" for the Volvos; 006–010" for the Yanmar), and all are sitting on spec now. Quite a relief, I have to say.

A very satisfying day—especially when we found the short pipe that connects the supercharger output to the turbo had an 1.5" split in it! This, we feel, explains the surging on the port engine. We did not see it doing the full services six months ago, so it has probably become bigger. No problems; the Volvo Penta dealer we with with had a number in stock, and it will be fitted tomorrow.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, engine, penta, volvo