Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 15:39   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Unburnt Fuel after rebuild

Hi All:

This is the first engine I have ever rebuilt. It is a Kubota EA300 7hp single cylinder and it runs my generator. It is horizontal engine and water got in the fuel and ruined one of the valves. I had the valve reground and put it back together. I am trying to bench test it and it won't run.

I cannot find the correct adapter to do either a leak down or compression test so I am trying to make one but am having problems with that.

I did take the injector off the block and run it against a piece of cardboard and it looks like it has a good spray pattern.

At first I was getting nothing out of the exhaust but now I am getting what I believe is unburnt diesel in a white cloud. NOrmally I would think water but there is no heat in the exhaust or the engine.

Could I have the timing set backwards so that fuel is going in at the wrong stroke?

The injection pump is timed with shims so I don't think that that is wrong.

Also the engine is not giving any hint of wanting to start.

I am using a gravity to feed the injection pump but don't see that as a problem.

Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful.

I hope I don't have to take it apart again.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 16:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Unburnt Fuel after rebuild

It does sound as if you have the timing way off, as the injection pump is like a cam in that it turns at half speed, I think it is entirely possible that you have it 180 out, also ensure your cam timing is correct.
But I know nothing in particular about this engine, my statement is generic. There are two TDC's of course TDC compression and TDC exhaust

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 16:14   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

How far was the engine stripped down?
Was the valve the only fault found?
Do you have any reason to suspect lack of compression?
The compression can artificially raised by adding a small amount of oil into the clyinder to temporary seal poor rings etc.
Is it possible for the timing to be 180 degrees out??? This would mean injection occurs on the exhaust stroke rather than the compression stroke.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 16:15   #4

And A64 has faster fingers than me
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 11-01-2015, 16:25   #5

I will have to study it and see if I could have put the timing 180* off. I'm not sure if it is possible on this engine. There are timing gears and they all needed to be aligned in order to get everything together. But I do agree that what is happening seems like it is 180* off.

I don't suspect low compression but thought it would be good to check before putting it in the difficult cubby it goes into.

I tore the engine all the way down.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 11-01-2015, 16:28   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

With timing gears on the crank and cam, if the timing marks aline exactly across from each other then its timed correctly. If the marks do not meet then you may be off a tooth. With helical cut gears that is easy to do.

With a timing belt or chain its easier setting the timing off, but with gears, if the timing marks aline then its correct.

I would check the valves are seating properly and valve lash.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 16:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
With timing gears on the crank and cam, if the timing marks aline exactly across from each other then its timed correctly. If the marks do not meet then you may be off a tooth. With helical cut gears that is easy to do.
I was just studying the book and it does not seem like I could have the timing 180* off on this engine. Thanks for confirming that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
With a timing belt or chain its easier setting the timing off, but with gears, if the timing marks aline then its correct.

I would check the valves are seating properly and valve lash.
I am going to check the valve clearance next. I have to order a part in order to do a compression check and hopefully I can work that part to do a leak down check.

Thanks Sailor Chic.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 12-01-2015, 10:38   #8

I rebuilt a Kubota 2 cyl engine
i flattened 4 batteries before it eventually started
zeewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:06   #9

I just rebuilt a kubota z600. 2 cylinder horizontal. It is a bear to start. The glow plugs need to be used for it to have a chance to start. Lots of white smoke as it tries to start . It always eventually gets going, smoke clears and it runs and produces enough power to load generator head to max rating. I detailed most of what I did on the " kubota generator rebuild. ". Thread.
It starts normally after it is warmed up. Someone else on the forum mentioned this type engine was hard starting.
I was considering using this on my Schucker 436 rebuild but the hard starting would be a pain, along with the white smoke. I replaced rings and rebuilt the head so compression "should" be good. But I guess that may be the place to start. Also was going to check the injectors spray pattern like the OP did. I left the crank in and did not mess with the fuel injection timing but I purchased the generator in non running condition so it is possible the fuel timing is off. But it does run well after warmed up.
I pulled a rusted out Onan generator off the schucker, on that one it looked like it had a heat devise screwed into the intake manifold I assume to help with starting. I could possibly adapt that warmer to my kubota. Also I was wondering if the fact that the throttle is solenoid controlled and moves the throttle nearly wide open when starting is hurting things on start. I could figure a way to bypass this if it would help the engine start easier if the throttle setting was lower on start. Any ideas on how to make this diesel start on demand?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 11:27   #10

Hi Just a little update:

Sailor Chic was right!!! I adjusted the valves and ran a compression and leak down test. I had a helluva time getting an adapter that would fit to run a compression test so I ended up making one. Compression was at 200 spec is a minimum of 377. I then made another adapter for my leak down tester and found that the exhaust valve was not holding. I removed the head and found that the machine shop had done a lousy job of cutting a new seat. I ordered new valves and head gasket, found a better machine shop, and am going to have an valve seat insert cut to the new valves.

Wish me luck.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 12-11-2022, 09:15   #11

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Funny thing I’ve never heard of one not smoking after rebuild. I think my generator has the same motor.
I followed a couple who bought a boat got really poor survey and one of their frustrations was a smoking generator. A fella removed it,rebuilt it, installed it and it still smoked. They gave up bought a new one and installed it themselves. Luck a fellow boater helped him wrestle it into the stern opening.
Honestly nothing short of new everything in a boiled block and checked head with the crank turned barrels bored valve springs guides rockers push rods or chains wrist pin. Truth is it cheaper to buy new or from a rebuilding who only keeps castings.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 09:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Funny thing I’ve never heard of one not smoking after rebuild. I think my generator has the same motor.
I followed a couple who bought a boat got really poor survey and one of their frustrations was a smoking generator. A fella removed it,rebuilt it, installed it and it still smoked. They gave up bought a new one and installed it themselves. Luck a fellow boater helped him wrestle it into the stern opening.
Honestly nothing short of new everything in a boiled block and checked head with the crank turned barrels bored valve springs guides rockers push rods or chains wrist pin. Truth is it cheaper to buy new or from a rebuilding who only keeps castings.
All rebuilt engines & most new engines will smoke a little until the piston rings get seated in.
KrazyKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 13:53   #13

What in the world is a “boiled block”?
You know this thread’s most recent post was Jan 30 2015 right? and it was low compression from a leaking valve.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 15:10   #14

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
You know this thread’s most recent post was Jan 30 2015 right? and it was low compression from a leaking valve.
Someone in another thread suggested that "Rumrace" may in fact be an AI bott, given the obscure thread response and tangential misinformation, could possibly be on the money.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 15:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Yeah a necrothread indeed!

I have heard the term "boiled block" once, decades ago - well twice now

I dropped a block into a engine machine shop and an old (to me) fella told me he will boil the block first. I look at him strangely and he explained he would stick the block in a vat of caustic soda (NaOH) for a day or two to clean it up. Never heard the term before or after (until now). Of course I dunno if RR is referring to the same thing or something completely different.

Tags
fuel, rebuild