Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2021, 05:12   #1

Boat: Bristol 27 & CSY 37
Question Unfreeze a Perkins 4-108

My Westerbeke 40 / Perkins 4-108 has been sitting for a year. In a yard, covered, in the CSY37, in warm South Carolina. Antifreeze in a bucket was the final "raw water" ingested when the engine was last run 3 years ago. I doubt there is water in the cylinders, and doubt the block has cracked. I used to briefly hit the starter to turn the motor over a few times, but haven't been able to this past year. Starter now won't engage (solenoid clicks, but tapping on the starter won't free it). Question is this - how do I access the crank bolt to turn-over the engine by hand? It is proud the pulley by about 1/8". Do I have to remove the pulleys, and if so, confirm that I'll need a puller.

To be clear - I plan to pull the injectors and pour in a 50-50 ATF-Acetone mixture and let it sit for a couple of days (to hopefully mitigate the piston ring rust I trust is there) before cranking. Any advice on this approach would also be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211203_145711.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	439.6 KB
ID:	249308  
dbcreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:29   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Unfreeze a Perkins 4-108

That bolt head has taken a beating. Hopefully, you can still get a six-point socket (don't try it with a 12 point) on it, and use a breaker bar to turn the engine over. Disassembly is not needed. Antifreeze is not relevant - it's in the cooling circuit and you're in the engine itself.

It's possible that the Bendix in the starter has engaged the flywheel, effectively freezing the engine, so you might want to remove the starter first. If it still won't turn, it's time to pull the injectors and spray in a bit of penetrant oil, but from your description it sounds more like an electrical problem than a mechanical freezing.

There's also the possibility that the entire problem is either the condition of the battery you are using as a source or the connections in the starter circuit. A Bendix click but no turning of the flywheel is a symptom of not enough juice to the starter.

I think this is going to end up a pretty simple problem. You've taken pretty good care of the engine in storage.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:36   #3

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
A Bendix click but no turning of the flywheel is a symptom of not enough juice to the starter.

This!!! That's a basic car symptom. Could be bad battery, bad connections, corroded cables or just a bad solenoid.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:44   #4

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
This!!! That's a basic car symptom. Could be bad battery, bad connections, corroded cables or just a bad solenoid.
Yup
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:54   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

A large strap wrench around the pulley may be a solution to get the engine to turn. I second the suggestion on removing the starter.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:33   #6

Captains, thanks for your replies.

The battery connections are all shiny-clean and I was using a new (and fully charged) 750MCA battery. Solenoid clicks, but I suppose it could be bad. Will do on the 6-point socket, but don't think I can get any purchase on it.

Related question - I'm considering replacing it with a "Not Your Father's 4-108" from Foley Engines. Any experience or feedback on this? https://www.foleyengines.com/perkins...-4-108-update/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211203_145758.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	249311  
Old 04-12-2021, 10:30   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Jeepers that engine looks rough
Old 04-12-2021, 10:31   #8

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Probably a starter/solenoid problem. Don't assume the engine is froze. Pull the starter. Then you should be able to move the flywheel with a HD screwdriver thru the starter position. If the engine is out of the boat and the transmission is off, you can use two bolts on opposite sides of the flywheel and a long pipe to turn the engine.
As rusty as the engine looks, make sure Foley will give full value as a core. Otherwise they may keep both the core charge and the engine core and you'll have to fight for a refund. It would be cheaper to have your engine rebuilt.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:33   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Unfreeze a Perkins 4-108

As for the nots your father 4108

Other then the improved crank seal the rest of the “ mods “ are merely nice to haves

You can buy an aftermarket upgraded rear seal for a few pounds

https://www.parts4engines.com/perkin...l-upgrade-kit/
Old 04-12-2021, 10:59   #10

Lepke and all the others who replied, thanks much. I feel sure you see why replacing or rebuilding is my intent - and call me nostalgic, but I'd like to stay with the 4-108 or 4-107 (have yet to be able to ID which this W40 actually is).
Old 04-12-2021, 11:28   #11

Boat: Cal 48 Wainui

I replaced my 4108 with a Beta 50hp. Dropped straight in, quieter and 2 knots faster.
Wainui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 13:08   #12

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Every major city has some company that rebuilds engines. Because the 4108 was used in tractors and other farm and industrial equipment, rebuild parts are much cheaper than a rebuilt engine from Foley or any parts from a marine engine dealer. The parts are the same.

The new new style rear crank seal is half price from https://www.parts4engines.com/ compared to Foley. They also have engine rebuild kits, and more stocked parts than most marine engine dealers. I live in Oregon and don't find shipping from the UK to be prohibitive.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 13:27   #13

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainui View Post
I replaced my 4108 with a Beta 50hp. Dropped straight in, quieter and 2 knots faster.
Me too. 18 years ago and never regretted it.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 13:39   #14

You cant reach the front nut inside the sheave instead of that one on the flywheel?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 13:41   #15

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcreed View Post
Related question - I'm considering replacing it with a "Not Your Father's 4-108" from Foley Engines. Any experience or feedback on this? https://www.foleyengines.com/perkins...-4-108-update/
Foley has a terrible reputation. Very shady guy. Had been known to repaint an engine and sell it as rebuilt.

I would find some other, more reputable dealer, like Trans-Atlantic Diesel.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion after reading many reports of unhappy Foley customers. I have talked to Foley on the phone but have not done any business with him.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins