Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2020, 20:52   #1

Boat: Contessa 32
Universal 2cy hours

I'm looking at a Universal 2 cylinder diesel engine with 1400 hours on it. Is that considered a lot of hours on this engine and if so is it at its expected life?

I know that depends on maintenance, proper cooling and a host of other factors but assuming reasonable care, is it about toast? I've seen gensets and other equipment with many more hours and going strong, but I don't know about small boat engines.

Your help greatly appreciated.
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 22:59   #2

Re: Universal 2cy hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ama View Post
I'm looking at a Universal 2 cylinder diesel engine with 1400 hours on it. Is that considered a lot of hours on this engine and if so is it at its expected life?

I know that depends on maintenance, proper cooling and a host of other factors but assuming reasonable care, is it about toast? I've seen gensets and other equipment with many more hours and going strong, but I don't know about small boat engines.

Your help greatly appreciated.
You know the answer already. It is just breaking in if maintained properly.

Look for any signs of neglect. They are usually right under the newly shining paint or some such. Old hoses attached to new filters or vice versa are also such signs. Other systems not connected to the engine will also give you clies as to the maintenance schedule or lack thereof on this particular boat - head, stove, windlass, electrical, hatches, bottoms of the lockers, etc.

Not saying that those should always be deal stoppers but at least price adjustors.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 01:57   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

I like to use the '50-mile-an-hour' formula when quesstimating small diesel engine 'life'.

50 mph x 1400 hr = 70,000 miles, so, as compared to a modern car, you're 1/3 through it's lifespan. As compared to an older car, say about half way.

Obviously for a well-maintained modern diesel the analogy fails, but given the uncertainties in both maintenance and sporadic usage, it at least gives a feel for what one might expect...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 06:13   #4

Great insight!! I'm familiar with diesel engines in general but have had do experience with "marine diesel".

I really appreciate the help!

Thanks
Old 27-02-2020, 07:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Wonderful guidance in those posts. I've learned something.

Let me add a comment. The condition of this specific engine. When revved, do you get a cloud of black smoke? Are you getting smoke of any color while running? If still in doubt, a compression test should resolve the issue.
Old 27-02-2020, 09:37   #6

Great advise!
I’ll check for those details.
When I’ve run across those symptoms in the past, it was either a miss adjusted injector pump or faulty injector/s or broken ring (not good).

In gensets it was sometimes a condition called “wet stacking” which commonly happened when the genset was run without proper load. Just hook up a load bank and problem usually goes away.

Thanks