Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 11:28   #1

Boat: 1984 Morgan 323 32'
Use of sealant at wet exhaust hose coupling?

Hello,

The Shields Rubber 2" exhaust hose (with wire) going from my waterlift muffler has a union (not sure why) which has very slow leak. The current coupling appears to be stainless steel, but I'm not entirely sure. I replaced all 4 hose clamps and have cranked them down as hard as possible by hand and it's still dripping. I can use a power drill to tighten the hose clamps more, but was concerned about overdoing it.

Just in case the existing stainless coupler is slightly off size-wise, I'm going to try to replace this coupling with a new fiberglass coupler. https://tridentmarine.com/product/fi.../#.Xt_Ogp70l-V

If that doesn't work, I know you're not supposed to use sealant on these exhaust hoses, but thought it might be acceptable for a union like this where you'd likely just cut the hose out if you ever wanted to replace it. I have a bottle of Rectorseal SlowDry/Soft Set #5 pipe thread sealant that would almost certainly do the trick, but thought I should ask first.

Thanks!
Mark
mveerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 16:01   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Use of sealant at wet exhaust hose coupling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mveerman View Post
Hello,

The Shields Rubber 2" exhaust hose (with wire) going from my waterlift muffler has a union (not sure why) which has very slow leak. The current coupling appears to be stainless steel, but I'm not entirely sure. I replaced all 4 hose clamps and have cranked them down as hard as possible by hand and it's still dripping. I can use a power drill to tighten the hose clamps more, but was concerned about overdoing it.

Just in case the existing stainless coupler is slightly off size-wise, I'm going to try to replace this coupling with a new fiberglass coupler. https://tridentmarine.com/product/fi.../#.Xt_Ogp70l-V

If that doesn't work, I know you're not supposed to use sealant on these exhaust hoses, but thought it might be acceptable for a union like this where you'd likely just cut the hose out if you ever wanted to replace it. I have a bottle of Rectorseal SlowDry/Soft Set #5 pipe thread sealant that would almost certainly do the trick, but thought I should ask first.

Thanks!
Mark
I just used rtv silicone on our stainless pipe to rubber hose. The difference in diameter was too much for me to squeeze the wire reinforced hose down onto it so I smeared silicone inside the hose & on the pipe. Let it go off before I tightened the clamp. It's been going for about 4 years, Not looking fwd to removing it but it doesn't leak.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:16   #3

Boat: 1984 Morgan 323 32'
Re: Use of sealant at wet exhaust hose coupling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
I just used rtv silicone on our stainless pipe to rubber hose. The difference in diameter was too much for me to squeeze the wire reinforced hose down onto it so I smeared silicone inside the hose & on the pipe. Let it go off before I tightened the clamp. It's been going for about 4 years, Not looking fwd to removing it but it doesn't leak.
Thanks! if the new coupler doesn't do the trick, I'll give RTV Silicone a shot.
mveerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, sealant