Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2018, 15:26   #1

Variable Pitch Propeller - What Grease?

Hi,

Newly acquired boat has a Sabb G diesel with variable pitch propeller. The propeller assembly is lubricated by way of a grease cup, regularly turned by hand to lube. Anyone have a similar setup who can tell me what the recommended grease is for use in the cup?

Thanks!
Mandofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 16:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Variable Pitch Propeller - What Grease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandofish View Post
Hi,

Newly acquired boat has a Sabb G diesel with variable pitch propeller. The propeller assembly is lubricated by way of a grease cup, regularly turned by hand to lube. Anyone have a similar setup who can tell me what the recommended grease is for use in the cup?

Thanks!
any water resistant grease will do,such as trailer wheel waterproof bearing grease
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 16:57   #3

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Hello.

I have a Hundested CPP. The mechanism inside the boat has a Butress thread operating a pin that pushes and pulls an internal shaft that is connected to a plate in the hub that changes the pitch. There is a grease cup on the rear part of the inline coupling.

The grease they insist on using is water soluble grease, and use of water proof grease will void any warranty.

Atolll is correct so many times, I think he might be confused by the distinction in your post, between a feathering, or furling prop vs. a CPP.

Here is what the manual says inter alia.

Using a waterproof grease will void the warranty as there will be bands of well lubricated and un-lubricated metals within the system as the water can repel the grease as the grease repels water. A water soluble grease (2%) will turn into a gruel and as it nears the hub it will still be supplying sufficient lubrication before it finally dissolves into the ocean.

Contact the manufacturer if you are in doubt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	174851   Click image for larger version

Name:	m26.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	174852  

Old 03-08-2018, 18:43   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Hello.

I have a Hundested CPP. The mechanism inside the boat has a Butress thread operating a pin that pushes and pulls an internal shaft that is connected to a plate in the hub that changes the pitch. There is a grease cup on the rear part of the inline coupling.

The grease they insist on using is water soluble grease, and use of water proof grease will void any warranty.

Atolll is correct so many times, I think he might be confused by the distinction in your post, between a feathering, or furling prop vs. a CPP.

Here is what the manual says inter alia.

Using a waterproof grease will void the warranty as there will be bands of well lubricated and un-lubricated metals within the system as the water can repel the grease as the grease repels water. A water soluble grease (2%) will turn into a gruel and as it nears the hub it will still be supplying sufficient lubrication before it finally dissolves into the ocean.

Contact the manufacturer if you are in doubt.

Correct advice on all counts. I also have a continuously variable pitch prop, Hundested, 1984. Use only water mixing type grease and pump more in per the manufacture’s timing recommendations. Absolutely get the maker’s recommendation and service manual. These things are great additions and extremely durable if cared for. Screw it up and it’s big money.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:27   #5

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

My last engine was a Sabb. I used waterproof (boat trailer) grease in the prop, which served well. On many occasions over the years I had to open the hub and always found it filled with grease and all surfaces lubricated. Unsurprisingly, it was more resistant to being washed out than the regular grease I started with. The downside was that it was resistant to being removed from hands and clothing... I can't speak for the other manufacturer's hub, but for the Sabb I think waterproof grease is the way to go.

You should have two grease cups, one for the hub and one for the aft side of the stuffing box. I found the grease cups to be just too messy, so I replaced them with grease fittings and a grease gun that uses standard cartridges. The hub is connected to a remote cup with copper tubing; the stuffing box cup mounts there but IMHO should also be mounted remotely with copper tubing. I had both grease fittings mounted underneath a removable step at the front of the engine where I could easily get to them. The grease gun provided ample pressure to drive the grease aft.

Be aware as you work on this engine that the threads are usually British, not SAE or metric. On my H series there were some metric parts as well, and the occasional SAE just to keep things interesting (the SAE were with local additions).

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:34   #6

My manual for the Korsoer CPP (exactly the same design as Hundested) says to use Mobilux EP2 or equivalent grease....it resists washout, but is not "waterproof" so I guess it complies with the Hundested manual.

https://www.mobil.com/en/industrial/...s/mobilux-ep-2
Singleprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 14:14   #7

Thanks all for the replies, particularly CarinaPDX as its good to hear from other Sabb owners. Love this engine but without replacement parts much available, the pucker factor is high through my learning curve on this engine.
Mandofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 16:45   #8

Here is Hundested's grease info page:

http://www.hundestedpropeller.dk/dow...rease_list.pdf
Singleprop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pitch, propeller, rope