Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2022, 20:37   #16
PNM

Re: Velvet Drive leakage

Thanks for your input.

I used a fiber optic camera to observe the ATF coming from the back of the tranny where the flange enters the drive. I have also observed that no ATF is coming from where the shifter shaft penetrates the side of the drive. I have actually observed a trail of ATF flowing from the bottom back lip of the reduction gear then to the lowest point on the drive, about an inch forward of the aft end of the drive.

My dip stick does not fit tightly, so no pressure builds up in the drive due to a sealed dipstick.

I provided a couple of pictures of the ATF drip and a picture showing the prop shaft and a picture of the prop shaft bearing position just forward of the prop. This prop shaft picture was taken prior to painting the bottom and the underwater metal. It is taken from the starboard side.

Sorry, the second picture is upside down and backwards. I had to stand on my head to get to the outboard side of the drive But the red oil is running down from the inside of the aft end of the drive and pooling on the bottom of the drive just forward of the aft end.

Do, do you think I can slide the shaft back 6" without removing the paint on the shaft? I think I have about 10" before the shaft will hit the rudder. Will the dripless stuffing box stay dripless (or just drip a little) if I move the shaft back 6".

Have a great day

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3347 rev1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	256334

Name:	IMG_3357 rev1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	256335

Name:	IMG_2541 rev1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	469.1 KB
ID:	256336
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 05:40   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380

I've done this job once or twice. Doability will depend on the cutlass free play, obviously more with age. A new(ish) cutlass will usually have low clearances.

AND, my PSS will definitely NOT be dripless with aft movement at the boat when the corrugated bellows looses contact with the wet bearing.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2022, 22:14   #18
PNM

Per requested update from SkipperPete, I provide the following.

Upon removal of the reduction gear, all accomplished in the water, we found rust on the aft bearing, so I had the reduction gear rebuilt and reinstalled.

I have since run the tranny in forward and reverse and changed the ATF twice. The ATF is now clear and red.

The VD shifts smoothly into and out of gear, from forward to reverse. After 10 minutes running at the dock, to include in forward and reverse, I have about 95 degrees on the housing at the exit hose to the oil cooler.

The VD shows about 80# of pressure at 700 rpm and 150+# at 1500 rpm (out of gear).

There is no strange or troubling noise.

I have yet to take it away from the dock, but the time is not far off.
Old 20-08-2022, 22:29   #19

Good outcome, job well done. Very smart move just taking off the reduction rather than the whole transmission.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2022, 09:50   #20
PNM

Crossed Fingers

Thanks