Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2014, 04:37   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Velvet drive loosing oil from output shaft

Been looking for threads on this but found nowt... My borg warner 72 is loosing oil from the output shaft down the splines.. Not the oil seal... The nut is not the original as far as I can see the original has a washer integrated. Anybody had the same problem ?? I have honed the nut as replacements aren't available and have machined a brass washer to hopefully stop the leak.... Temp fix till I get some new bits but strange to see..
Old 14-01-2014, 05:28   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: Velvet drive loosing oil from output shaft

Just tried to look at my manual but not easy to see on my phone. Looks like there are seals before the spline area. Meaning oil should not get to the splines. If you don't have a manual you can download for free. I think I found it on a Gulfstar forum. It is a Chriscraft manual but same trans.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 06:07   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Went back for a second look. They call the nut a "oil baffle" nut. And it looks like the seals are not in a place to seal off the spline area. The only place I have seen this type of design would be on a slip yoke type driveshaft. And those are a closed spline. So dumb ass design for "fixed" splined application.
The fix??? Maybe a "locktight" type sealant on the splines and or a fiber seal washer.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 09:08   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I'm a bit confused. Looking at the VD 72C manual both with and without reduction gear I see that the splined output shaft is a solid piece that is internal to the transmission. (Thus will have oil on the splines)

The coupling slides onto the output shaft and through the oil seal. That is to say the oil seal rides on the coupling shaft.

The coupling nut is a flang type nut with a flat surface on one side that then acts as a seal against the main shaft.

If the sealing surfaces on the main shaft or the coupling nut are not flat or are scratched you can expect an oil leak there. The manual does not specify using any locktight but does specify the torque.

Some part numbers for this nut are 10-00-149-034 or 4775L

Here is an online reference: ISSUU - Drivetrain by Mermaid Marine Products

I suspect that having a correct output shaft nut (coupling nut) will solve this problem.

Regards
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 09:23   #5

Confusing..... Description.

A standard Borg Warner 72 has attached either a reduction unit, or a v drive reduction unit. There are not splines on the exterior of the unit. The internal unit has the splined shaft that connects the two portions that "Transmission" and the "Reduction Gear" and this is a wet section.

The input shaft has splines on these units.

Are you leaking oil out the center of the output coupling?

They have them here: Borg Warner Velvet Drive | Parts | Marine Transmission | Basic Power

See Below:

ALT23320

$12.95
Quantity in Basket: none Nut Coupling with Washer Borg Warner Velvet Drive Transmission 1000-149-034

Coupling Nut with built on washer for Borg Warner Velvet Drive 1017 1018 Series including "V" Drive, and 5000 Series Transmissions. This takes an 1 11/16 socket to remove. Used on all newer style transmissions without seal holder.
OEM: 1000-149-034

ALT23321

$12.95
Quantity in Basket: none Nut Coupling Output Shaft Borg Warner Velvet Drive Transmission

Output Shaft Nut for Borg Warner Velvet Drive Transmissions. Uses a 1 1/2 inch socket IF your nut uses an 1 11/16 socket, then this is not the correct nut. See ALT23320

Guy
:-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Borg-Warner-71C-72C-Transmission-Manual.jpg
Views:	1506
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	73940  
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 13:28   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikiguy View Post
Confusing..... Description.

A standard Borg Warner 72 has attached either a reduction unit, or a v drive reduction unit. There are not splines on the exterior of the unit. The internal unit has the splined shaft that connects the two portions that "Transmission" and the "Reduction Gear" and this is a wet section.

The input shaft has splines on these units.

Are you leaking oil out the center of the output coupling?

They have them here: Borg Warner Velvet Drive | Parts | Marine Transmission | Basic Power

See Below:

ALT23320

$12.95
Quantity in Basket: none Nut Coupling with Washer Borg Warner Velvet Drive Transmission 1000-149-034

Coupling Nut with built on washer for Borg Warner Velvet Drive 1017 1018 Series including "V" Drive, and 5000 Series Transmissions. This takes an 1 11/16 socket to remove. Used on all newer style transmissions without seal holder.
OEM: 1000-149-034

ALT23321

$12.95
Quantity in Basket: none Nut Coupling Output Shaft Borg Warner Velvet Drive Transmission

Output Shaft Nut for Borg Warner Velvet Drive Transmissions. Uses a 1 1/2 inch socket IF your nut uses an 1 11/16 socket, then this is not the correct nut. See ALT23320

Guy
Many thanks Guy unfortunatelly these guys want 59USD to ship to Thailand !! I will find a way LOL
Old 14-01-2014, 13:48   #7

I sent a letter to Thailand, and it cost me $49.00 to send a letter so that I knew it had some chance of actually arriving, $59.00 for the parts seems pretty cheap by comparison!

Guy
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 08:41   #8

Boat: grampian 26

Try applying some RTV sealant between the coupling and shaft splines.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil