Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2017, 09:41   #1

Boat: 1968 Pearson P35
Vetus m3.10

I have a Vetus m3.10 and when it starts it immediately goes full throttle even though the throttle lever is in idle position. I try to shut it down with electric shut off and it won't stop running. Only way to stop it is to shut off fuel supply. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?
Mayhemdog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 19:02   #2

Boat: Pearson 35
Re: Vetus m3.10

Anyone have a shop rebuild manual for his 3.10? My guess it is a governor spring or shaft key?

The engine ran fine and then has gone crazy? Also does anyone know where the governor is located, starboard side under the oil filter is a inspection plate?

Last question does anyone know which Mitsubishi the 3.10 is and have a cross reference?

Thanks All, help a bro out!!!!!
jimsavenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 18:58   #3

No luck so far, reached out to a injector rebuilder to see if the govenor is in the injection pump,

One thing stands out, this happened when you changed the oil, found this,

If the intake valve guides leak and the head oil drains are clogged with sludge, it feeds increasing amounts of unregulated fuel into the combustion chamber, which can cause or contribute to a run away.

Taking the valve cover is not that rough, plus you can check to see the value adjustments.

One last thing, a magnet into the bildge might find a broken spring? Just another guess?
Old 02-04-2017, 06:11   #4

Spoke with Vetus USA and they said the govenor is on the side of the injector pump, don't see that on any diagram? Anyone know if the M3.10 has a centrifical govenor?

Anyone know any contact for someone that works on the M3.10? They said the Vetus is a Mitsubushi K3, and I see nothing?

https://www.ajsutton.co.uk/spares/ep.../25877/6-6.jpg

There is a device on the fuel system on the upper left of the diagram? Could this control fuel and govern the engine?

So as far as i can tell there is not mechanical govenor, and there is linkage on the side of the injector pump? ANY IDEAS? Need help!
Old 09-04-2017, 18:17   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsavenir View Post
Spoke with Vetus USA and they said the govenor is on the side of the injector pump, don't see that on any diagram? Anyone know if the M3.10 has a centrifical govenor?

Anyone know any contact for someone that works on the M3.10? They said the Vetus is a Mitsubushi K3, and I see nothing?

https://www.ajsutton.co.uk/spares/ep.../25877/6-6.jpg

There is a device on the fuel system on the upper left of the diagram? Could this control fuel and govern the engine?

So as far as i can tell there is not mechanical govenor, and there is linkage on the side of the injector pump? ANY IDEAS? Need help!
Although I'm not familiar with the Vetus 310 engine I looked up the parts and owners manual for it and found the part your referring to in the posted diagram is the fuel lift or transfer pump. On another page they show the governor assembly with flyweights and assorted linkages and springs. Not a very good blow up of parts but helpful parts list and nomenclature. I sure wish I knew how to use my computer a lot better to post the info. http://www.vetusweb.com/manual/files...03%2001-02.pdf section 6, be advised there's more than a few pages marked 6
Hope this helps. Something seems to be stuck in the governor or injection pump putting the control rack into the full fuel position. Some governors are in full fuel position at start up and return to idle position at engine start up as governor weights and springs reach equilibrium. This is what makes me think a broken or stuck component in the fuel control I.E. governor. By the way governor and injection pump look like one unit and you can find it by following the fuel lines from the injectors back to the injection pump
I only ask you let us know when you figure it out what the problem was so we all learn.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote