Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2022, 17:47   #46

Re: Volvo 2003NT series circulation pump question

The “ missing seal” is actually the mechanical seal that keeps the coolant from pouring out the weep hole and initially I thought it was not possible to run the engine without that essential part ..... UNLESS...... there’s no weep hole on the bearing side of the housing and the roller bearing end seals act in the role of the missing mechanical seal. If this is correct, it’s yet another example of bad engineering from VP
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 00:44   #47

Hi

Wondering if anyone can diagnose where the clicking rattling sound is coming from? Coolant pump? Impeller ? Alternator ?

I cannot tell, any ideas on how to eliminate each one. ( I can't run the engine with the belt only running 2 of these to know.)

I made a youtube video of it running:

vicbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 15:09   #48

Volvo 2003NT series circulation pump question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicbusiness View Post
Hi

Wondering if anyone can diagnose where the clicking rattling sound is coming from? Coolant pump? Impeller ? Alternator ?

I cannot tell, any ideas on how to eliminate each one. ( I can't run the engine with the belt only running 2 of these to know.)

I made a youtube video of it running:

What engine is it that has the clicking and rattling sound? You can narrow the field by briefly (less than 30 seconds)running the engine with ALL the belts off, if the noise is still apparent, and at the front of the engine it could be the timing gears or chain (but also could be loose valve clearances or just the happy rattle of a normal indirect injection diesel engine running cold). While you have the belts off, give the 3 pulleys a good shake and spin to check for bearing looseness or noise.
Old 26-02-2023, 17:48   #49

Thanks Skipperpete,

Its a Volvo D2-55, I ran it as you said and the noise was worse.
So I don't think its the alternator or the (coolant pump which is new).

With the belt on sometimes the noise isn't there then it appears, I had not noticed it until running without the cover so I don't how long its been occuring.
You will notice in the video the noise only start a few seconds into it running once started.

I made a video of it running with the belt on:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/PWiaPIUbzi4
vicbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 18:23   #50

Volvo 2003NT series circulation pump question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicbusiness View Post
Thanks Skipperpete,

Its a Volvo D2-55, I ran it as you said and the noise was worse.
So I don't think its the alternator or the (coolant pump which is new).

With the belt on sometimes the noise isn't there then it appears, I had not noticed it until running without the cover so I don't how long its been occuring.
You will notice in the video the noise only start a few seconds into it running once started.

I made a video of it running with the belt on:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/PWiaPIUbzi4

Ahh, A D2-55.... vastly different to the OP’s 2003NT, that changes the plot.
That engine rarely (if ever) has trouble with timing gears and there’s very little else at the front that would make that noise. they do, however have oil pump probs from time to time so if I was the guy you hired to fix this, my
next move would be to open up the oil filter and inspect the paper folds for shiny bits.
Did you check the valve clearances?

Tags
pump, volvo