Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2018, 03:56   #1

Volvo D240, how to commision+install oil pressure gauge

I have bought a new VP d2 40 and have difficulty getting it commisioned as I bought in UK and am in Portugal. I have not started it yet and would like to know the first start up procedure. Also I would like to install an oil gauge as I would think that it iss the most important indicator on the engine.
noblewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 04:36   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Volvo D240, how to commision+install oil pressure gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblewarrior View Post
I have bought a new VP d2 40 and have difficulty getting it commisioned as I bought in UK and am in Portugal. I have not started it yet and would like to know the first start up procedure. Also I would like to install an oil gauge as I would think that it iss the most important indicator on the engine.
It appears that Volvo never offered a pressure guage option for that motor. You will need to go with an aftermarket guage.

By looking at the schematic, it looks like you will need to take the pressure sensor switch out and replace it with an aftermarket 2 stud sensor. A 2 stud sensor provides you with both a switch (for warning light) and pressure sensor for guage. After that, you simply buy an aftermarket guage and wire it in. Faria, KUS or VDO are all popular aftermarket guages that can be bought on Amazon.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 04:56   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

As an alternative, if you like the techy side of things, you might enquire with the local dealer about Volvo's Easy Connect (part #23194818 I think). Should be ~200-300 dollars/Euro. Allows you to display engine data (including oil pressure, coolant temp, battery voltage, etc) on your smartphone (would also want to confirm with Volvo exactly what data is available from your engine).

They also have similar options for NMEA 2000 if you already have that on the boat.

For the cost probably not much more than a new sender+gauge+installation. The idiot lights on the panel still work for bad situations and you can use the phone and/or NMEA 2000 to monitor the actual values as required.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 10:26   #4

thanks for that info, but I don't want to have to use my phone to look at that info, I like to keep it simple, the whole thing is too hitec for me anyway.
Old 29-07-2018, 10:30   #5

Thanks for that info, I will look on ebay and for those components. I am probably being a bit too cautious, but it would be nice to knopw the oil presure from new, I would think it might be good for fault finding in the future. Like the distant future,I hope.
Old 29-07-2018, 10:33   #6

One thing I forgot to add.. You will need to discover the threads on the pressure switch so you can order a 2 stud sender with those threads. At least on my MD2030 the threads were standard (1/8"-27 I believe).

You are looking for something like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Pressur...nder.TRS0.TSS0
Old 29-07-2018, 10:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblewarrior View Post
Thanks for that info, I will look on ebay and for those components. I am probably being a bit too cautious, but it would be nice to knopw the oil presure from new, I would think it might be good for fault finding in the future. Like the distant future,I hope.
I agree with you %100.. I can't imagine running my motors without a pressure guage. I think an oil pressure guage and a water temperature guage are minimum. They are crucial pieces of gear that I keep my eyes on often.
Old 30-07-2018, 12:02   #8

thanks Traverew, i will find out the thread size and look at buying a dual sensor. Does anyone know where I would get the commisioning instructions or is it as simple as starting it up and running it.
Old 30-07-2018, 16:01   #9

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

Like this one?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BWD-S352-En...sid=m570.l1313
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 18:27   #10

The late model D2-40 engines, those with the MDI system, do not have the capability to read oil pressure on the CAN buss, as it was never included in the initial design....the oil pressure information is just not there.

However, as mentioned, a combination sender with alarm switch and gauge sender can easily be added to the engine to drive an oil pressure gauge outside of the MDI system.

Start up and maintenance info is found in the V.P. owners manual, which should have been delivered with the new engine. If you don't have one it can be downloaded at Volvopenta.com or just google d2-40 owners manual and you can find one.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 00:07   #11

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

"I can't imagine running my motors without a pressure guage."
Motors don't need a o/p or w/t gauge, however on ENGINES – v. important ;>}

Tags
oil, volvo