Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2015, 16:48   #16

Re: Volvo MD17C - Oil Change

I an MD17D... here's the best way... I've been doing it for 30 yrs.

Get one of those "vacuum type" pumps which come with varius diameter hoses... which you push into the dip stick hole.

run the engine to warm the oil. Measure it to see how full it is.

Pump the device. press the button and then the vacuum sucks all the oil out.

Next you need to remove the old oil filter... probably have to remove the air intake cowls. Place wads of paper towels under the filter and as you get it off (use a band/filter wrench) the oil in the old filter will spill into the bilge and hopefully onto the wad of paper towels.

Fill with I think it's 4.5 quarts... after you put on a new filter. Wipe the gasket with some oil and hand tighten.

Run the engine.. check the oil level. Note the engine hrs and repeat after about 75hrs.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 20:42   #17

My 2 cents worth about a filter. If you are driving a long distance to do the work and dont know what is available in the area, you might want to spring for the proper Volvo filter ahead of time, for your first change, and worry about finding a substitute when you have more time. Driving around all afternoon in an unfamiliar area, is an afternoon of not getting anything done. Best of luck with your new boat. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 03:41   #18

I don't use Volvo filters... I use Fram PH16 or other brands which can be "crossed" and work perfectly fine. Keep a few spares along with oil to do a change on board. When you do an oil change.. replenish your spares!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil change, volvo