Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2014, 10:54   #1

Volvo md2030d winterizing problem

I have 2001 volvo md2030d on my sailboat, has about 270 hrs on it, this year I try to winterized the raw water part of the system, as I was filling antifreeze I to the system, I got same pink antifreeze come out of the air filter? Engine was running good while it is in the water. Does anyone know what is going on? What need to be fixed?

Thanks

David
mytimeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:29   #2

Re: Volvo md2030d winterizing problem

If you removed a hose and poured the pink antifreeze into the heat exchanger, you probably used too much. The heat exchanger only holds about 1/2 liter and the rest of the pink ran into the exhaust system, filled the water lift muffler and backed up into the exhaust manifold. Then it could go into a cylinder with both inlet and exhaust valve open and hence come out the air inlet.

Because the antifreeze could be lying in more than one cylinder, you need to carefully turn the engine over slowly to push the antifreeze out. Before attempting this you should remove the glow plugs to allow any antifreeze which is in the cylinders to escape without damaging pistons or connecting rods. After rotating the engine by hand several times to remove the liquid the engine can be cranked with the starter motor to expel the balance of the fluid. Then the exhaust system should be drained of excess antifreeze and the engine should be run to expel any remaining antifreeze lying in the cylinders. Then re-winterise but don't over do it.

Rgds,
DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:01   #3

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Volvo md2030d winterizing problem

Doug R has diagnosed ur problem & given u the correct cure.

May I suggest an easy & foolproof way to get the antifreeze thru the RW system. Locate the hose from seacock to wherever it first reaches the engine or RW filter. Close seacock,if boat is in water.
Disconnect the seacock end of hose.
Stick this hose in a gal of pink RV a-freeze.
Fire up engine & run til u see pink coming out the exhaust.
Shut down-you're done.
Before launch,install a tee in this hose.
Install a ball valve on the tee & enuff hose to reach bottom of bilge.
Put a strainer on the bilge end of hose.
Next winterizing.you only have to pull the "bilge Hose" up,stick it into A/F jug,close seacock,open tee valve,& run eng. as above
Now you have the ability to use this tee bilge hose as an EMERCENCY bilge pump. Caution:If ur bilge contains "chunks" of material,that will pass thru the strainer,it is possible to suck this crud thru RW pump & heat exchanger-hence the warning to use it only as last resort emergency,if at all.
This works fine in my VP 2003 -takes 10min.& < 1 gal A/F. cheers/ Len
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
md2030, volvo