Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2023, 08:25   #1

Boat: Corbin39
Volvo MS(B?) Gearbox

I'm starting to notice that my gearbox is not as solid as it use to be. When I put it in forward, it takes a little while before it engages and when it does, I can barely feel it engage. This gearbox is on a MD17C from 1984.

Can anyone tell me if there is an adjustment somewhere in the clutch system that can make?

TIA
SailingInfidels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 08:15   #2

Boat: None
Re: Volvo MS(B?) Gearbox

Most of those old engines used the 'MS' gear. If it has a hose running to the aft end of the transmission and entering the planetary section, it is the 'MS' gear. It could also be the 'MSB' gear as the exterior of the two transmissions were pretty much identical. The difference was in the internal clutch.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 08:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPNC View Post
Most of those old engines used the 'MS' gear. If it has a hose running to the aft end of the transmission and entering the planetary section, it is the 'MS' gear. It could also be the 'MSB' gear as the exterior of the two transmissions were pretty much identical. The difference was in the internal clutch.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if there's any adjustment to the them? Maybe an oil change would help? Do you know what type of oil they take?
Old 24-01-2023, 09:02   #4

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

The cone clutch lining is part of the input shaft, and is no longer available, so if you can't find a used one, you're pretty much SOL.
If anybody knows of someone who can reline one, please post it, I have a burned one I'd like to fix and keep as a spare.
NEVER LEAVE AN MSB IN FOREWARD WHEN SAILING!!!
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 09:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
The cone clutch lining is part of the input shaft, and is no longer available, so if you can't find a used one, you're pretty much SOL.
If anybody knows of someone who can reline one, please post it, I have a burned one I'd like to fix and keep as a spare.
NEVER LEAVE AN MSB IN FOREWARD WHEN SAILING!!!

I always put mine in reverse.

I have a spare one but I'm actually using it now and both have the same issue. I would love to find someone to reline if I can.

Do you know what oil is supposed to be used in these things? I've been told ATF and "Whatever you use in your engine". I've been using ATF but I'm thinking that might be the reason for the issue I'm seeing now.
Old 24-01-2023, 09:17   #6

Boat: None

Quote:
I am afraid that you are stock with contacting a transmission shop that services the Volvo gears. They are a unique design and proprietary to Volvo.

Volvo does have a site that provides manual down loads.

https://www.volvopenta.com/en-us/ser...and-handbooks/
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 09:23   #7

Quote:
I am afraid that you are stock with contacting a transmission shop that services the Volvo gears. They are a unique design and proprietary to Volvo.

Volvo does have a site that provides manual down loads.

https://www.volvopenta.com/en-us/ser...and-handbooks/

Thank you!

Tags
gear, gearbox, volvo