Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2015, 10:23   #1

volvo penta 2002 cooling system - broke apart screw

guys,

Ive got CD28 with volvo penta 2002 and was installating alternator ... but I chose wrong post on the engine when tightening the belt and one screw on the engine body broke apart ... see attached screenshot

there is a lot of water coming out of the hole ... could you advise me how to fix it? the thing is that a part of the screw is still inside of the engine body

I believe the engine is fresh water cooled so that might the fresh water, right? or sea water? if fresh water I could dump it out and repair the place ... but what if it is sea water? seacocks are permanently open [plan to clean them but not now]

any ideas welcome ... I was planing first trip today as the alternator was the last thing to hook up ... and know this issue

thanks a lot, tomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	help.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	98007  
arecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:45   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: volvo penta 2002 cooling system - broke apart screw

We'd need a picture of the broken mount area, not the 'bolt' to offer advice about a possible fix, but I'd hazard a guess that you've removed the anode (or what's left of it) and what you see in the hole is corrosion or the remains of the anode...

If you have in fact broken an alternator mounting bolt off in the head/intake/exhaust manifold (another brilliant Volvo idea), then there's nothing for it but to drill out the old bolt and re-tap the hole (if necessary). You might want to get some assistance, doing that can range from pretty easy to a royal pain in the ass, even with plenty of experience.

Also, it might be prudent to get those seacocks operating before you venture too far from the dock...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I presume the piece you are holding is what you broke off from the hole where the wooden bung is inserted.

As an old mechanic I would taste the water to determine sea or fresh but that's just me. Looking at where the bung is I am guessing it is fresh water from the engine and you can let it drain out.

You need to determine if the bit broken in the hole where the bung is is really gone and the threads are clear. If you are lucky it is. If you are not lucky you need to extract the broken bit without damaging the threads. If you aren't skilled you may want to get a mechanic. the procedure is to get a screw extractor (also called "easy out") - lube it up with penetrating fluid (WD40) and then try to extract.

Looking at the bit in your hand it seems there is a body of some type and the left end in the photo is simply plugged. Unless I am looking at it wrong and something was connected there.

If it is just a plug you can take the bit in your hand to a plumbing supply store and find just a plug that has the same threads as the bit that went in the hole.

With the hole clean and a suitable threaded plug in hand you simply apply some sealant (RTV) to the plug and screw it back in. Service the fresh water system and you are done.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:23   #4

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Oops, I was looking for an alternator mounting area, didn't even notice the wooden plug. The wooden plug is in what looks like a boss for a block drain that someone (previous owner?) has plugged as best they can. The anode is mounted in the head, so I doubt that that is what you have removed.

Volvo uses different fittings depending on the source of their engines. In other words, a gas Volvo/Ford or Volvo/Chevy uses NPT fittings, while a diesel Volvo/Perkins/ISM uses metric fittings (in some places). The engines actually manufactured by Volvo (I think the 2002 is but am not sure) also use metric fittings (or some other even more obscure type), so you might do better at the auto parts store than the plumbing supply house.

The Volvo part number for the plug is 861551 and only 6.00 US so that would be the 'right' way. It would also let you get the right tap to chase (clean) the existing threads.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:41   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

It is hard to see in the picture, but it might be the hot-water take-off for an external water heater that was not in use. You'll probably need to drill out whats left, maybe use a heli-coil to rethread.
Old 10-03-2015, 17:41   #6

the thing was mechanical temperature gauge and not anode ... anode is at difference place ... anyway, I got it fixed!

but thats not the end of my troubles as today I found a grey oily stuff in the cranking shaft instead of oil ... see separate thread here:
grey stuff instead of oil - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
arecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 22:30   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by arecuk View Post
the thing was mechanical temperature gauge and not anode ... anode is at difference place ... anyway, I got it fixed!

but thats not the end of my troubles as today I found a grey oily stuff in the cranking shaft instead of oil ... see separate thread here:
grey stuff instead of oil - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
I was gonna guess water jacket take off for water heater or something...

Sorry about the grey oil - I'll take a look at that thread...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, volvo, penta, cooling