Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2023, 17:00   #1

Boat: Alberg 30
Volvo Penta 2002 Sucked up Mud and Overheating

I am the new owner of a Alberg 30, with a raw water cooled Volvo Penta 2002. My slip is in need of dredging, and while attempting to power out of the mud at low tide (bad idea), I sucked mud into my cooling system. I didn't notice the issue until 15 minutes later when my high temp alarm sounded. After making it back to the slip, I checked everywhere for blockages. The intake, water pump, thermostat, exhaust elbow, and all cooling pipes are clear. However, when I the removed the drain plug on the block, no water came out. Instead, it was filled with thick black MUD! Does anyone have any advice for removing it?

I was able to create a fitting to directly attach a garden hose to the drain plug, however the water pressure is not enough to overcome the pressure. I have removed as much mud as possible with a piece of wire, but I can't pick any more out. Would acid based engine descaler be worth a shot? I'm running short on ideas. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated!
Ben_Koly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 17:41   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Volvo Penta 2002 Sucked up Mud and Overheating

No chemical will work unless you can get at least a little bit of flow.

My next move would be to rig up a small line (1/4" vinyl tubing or something) to the hose, jam it up the cooling passage, and turn on the water. Maybe you can blast through some of the mud. Try it from the other end too (where the thermostat was). Then remove the frost plugs and blast around.

It might be worth pulling the head just to be sure. A risk is that you'll clear enough of the blockage to get promising-looking flow but still have one of the cylinders undercooled.

And switch to a finer mesh screen in your strainer to keep this from happening again..

Tags
heating, overheating, penta, volvo