Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2017, 14:10   #1

Volvo Penta 2003 lifespan?

Hi there,
My friend is looking to buy a yacht with the above engine.
It's 30 years old, and done more than 7000 hours.

It's a great boat and a good deal.
Some work needs to be done on her... nothing major... But it adds up.

What do you think? Walk away?
Anyone with a positive input?

I know it's a bit hard to give a very detailed answer since I didn't mention anything about the maintenance it got over the years, servicing etc...
But it's more to find out what you guys know about the average lifespan of this model and any problems it might be prone to.

Cheers!
JBas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 14:16   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Volvo Penta 2003 lifespan?

Try and find parts! And this engine has had more than it's share of problems.
Old 28-11-2017, 14:36   #3

I have one, it has 1500 hours and goes fine.
Longest lasting one I know was 8500 hrs with excellent maintenance, was replaced as needed a rebuild.
I would suspect 7000 hours with an uncertain maintenance history will need replacement soon. I wouldn’t waste money on a rebuild of mine if it breaks down.
Definitely a week point in the sale, that model has a patchy history and high cost of replacement parts.
Availability of parts isn’t a problem here in Tasmania, so I suspect it is not an issue in the US.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 14:48   #4

Thanks for these,
From what he knows it was well looked after, with one caring owner for most of its life.

Anyone knows what a suitable replacement engine or what an overhaul might cost?
Old 28-11-2017, 14:55   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBas View Post
Thanks for these,
From what he knows it was well looked after, with one caring owner for most of its life.

Anyone knows what a suitable replacement engine or what an overhaul might cost?
The 2003 is nearing the end of it's long career. It might run fine for awhile, just be careful to watch the death by a thousand paper cuts from minor repair costs. I should have replaced mine years earlier. I replaced it with a Yanmar 3YM. Total cost was usd$12,500 installed.
Old 28-11-2017, 15:23   #6

Thanks Paul,
Sounds like a solid advise!
If anything you made someone laugh out loud today!!!
Old 28-11-2017, 15:44   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Replacements are available and spares so not the end of world but 7000 hours is high and I agree replace rather than rebuild.

Some options if don't want to replace with new:

http://www.marineenterprisesltd.co.uk/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 18:06   #8
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Budget for a replacement if really interested in buying the boat. Not worth rebuilding this engine, neither cost-effective nor would it be prudent. Even new this was a poor engine. Don't throw good money after bad. Consider a Beta 28.

Beta Marine - Beta 28 (BD1005) - Beta Marine diesel engine using high performance Kubota diesel
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 21:00   #9

Boat: Horstman Tri-Star45 trimaran

I second the sentiments against rebuilding, and the "death of a thousand cuts". My current boat had a Volvo 2003 which lasted 70 miles, the used replacement just died and my mechanic swears at Volvo for their <cheap to buy, costly to keep> approach.

I am now working to replace it with a rebuilt Perkins 4-108, worth the changes i will need to make it work. Parts should be a lot easier here in Mexico, and the design is like the old Volkswagens -- simple, solid and slowly evolving and improving.
Old 29-11-2017, 10:37   #10

Boat: Former Privilege 48

I would never buy a boat with a Volvo.

Been there done that.

My 2003's were nothing but trouble, and I am a mechanic.

My two cents, and my volvo's thousands of cents. (maybe millions)
Mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 11:21   #11

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcruz99801 View Post
I second the sentiments against rebuilding, and the "death of a thousand cuts". My current boat had a Volvo 2003 which lasted 70 miles, the used replacement just died and my mechanic swears at Volvo for their <cheap to buy, costly to keep> approach.

I am now working to replace it with a rebuilt Perkins 4-108, worth the changes i will need to make it work. Parts should be a lot easier here in Mexico, and the design is like the old Volkswagens -- simple, solid and slowly evolving and improving.
The Perkins 4-108 is a very old design and I would not go to the expense of fitting one in place of a different engine. It is a 1960's design evolved from the 1950's 4-107.

I replaced my 4-108 in 2003 with a Beta Marine 50 HP. The engine is actually a Kubota V2203 and light years ahead of the Perkins. The Perkins were good engines in their day but their day has passed. They use antiquated main bearing seals and are well know for weeping oil. At 5600 hours the question was rebuild or replace. I am glad I chose to replace. Now with about 4000 hours on the Beta it runs better than the Perkins did when I got it with 1600 hours on it.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 11:24   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 345

I replaced mine about 10 yrs ago with a Volvo 2030, uses a Perkins block, lighter smaller and all round great option, got about 2000 hrs regular service and has been great so far. Hope this helps, D.
nortscrosses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 12:50   #13

I run the 2003 in different boats for several 1000 hours without troubles.
They are older but if you run the engine on regular basis they are not so bad.

But 7000 hours is well a lot and close by thinking for a new engine! Maybe can you calculate a new engine in the price what you gif for the boat. Maybe lest he a few years longer and have you to change him over a few years year? Placing a new engine can be a hassel to fit it properley and well.

13000 will be the rating for a new engine wit 30 Hp and saildrive.
KWISPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 15:07   #14

Boat: Coast 30

Ah! the good ole 2003 Volvo debate again! One person wrote "the worst engine built for a ship" While others seem to love them as very reliable and have no problems. Yes I have one. and yes the spares are expensive. Due to Volvo increasing the prices of the spares every six months. It is a proprietary design originated by Volvo; So there are no commercial cross overs as with some other manufactures. I have not checked to see IF Federal Mogul supply pistons.

However My experience thus far is that most of what needs replacing in time does not necessarily have to have anything to do with Volvo. The fuel system is all Bosch and they remain helpful and reasonable.

The starter can be rebuilt at any Auto Electric Re-builders as can the alternator. Their original choice of manufacturer for that is not considered the best in some circles. and can be changed out easily If your Electrical shop knows how to provide the pulse for the rev counter. BTW for that make sure that either the original pulley is fitted. or the the replacement is 76 MM diameter and has the same pulley grove profile.

The most likely item to fail is the spline in the damper between the out put shaft and the transmission. This is best solved by fitting a SURE DRIVE manufactured By Next Wave marine systems Qualicum beach Vancouver's Island Canada 1 (250)752-1790 contact Ted or Barbara.

Designed to be a simple bolt in swap. Though in some engines a very simple machine-shop operation on the fly wheel has been needed.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 16:18   #15

Another issue is the exhaust elbow, it’s really a service replacement item every three years or so.

I have two, clean the other one out with acid when I take it off, put it back in a few years later.

Going OK so far.

The raw water cooled version has fewer things to go wrong, particularly as cooling system connections are a weak link in this engine. Just be aware the FWC thermostat runs at 170 degrees and the RWC one is 140 degrees, mix them up and your overheat alarm will be going off most of the time.

The Volvo mechs did this on my boat and then talked the previous owner into a head rebuild he didn’t need, I spotted the problem at my first service, they had rebuilt the head and put the wrong thermostat back in ......

I know all about the wrong alternator pulley as well...
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo