Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2017, 10:12   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34
Volvo Penta 2003 - shaft o-ring from flywheel side replacement

Has anyone by chance replaced the o-ring on the shaft to the fly-wheel side of the engine ?

I have a small oil leak from there and what to fix it, but not sure for the easiest way to do it...
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 00:02   #2

Re: Volvo Penta 2003 - shaft o-ring from flywheel side replacement

I haven't worked on that particular engine in respect to the rear O ring seal but here's a previous post referring to your VP2003
QUOTE:
Just an update on this, maybe it could be useful to someone else. Yesterday I moved the engine to the saloon, and as pvb says, you can get the crankshaft oil seal out once the flywheel is removed. I used a small screwdriver and although I was expecting a bit of a battle the oil seal just about feel out. On close inspection, the part of the seal that was in contact with the crankshaft was in very good condition. The oil seal was such a loose fit in the housing though, the oil had been leaking there, this was visible from the oil stains. The VP workshop manual instructs that the seal should be bedded with some VP 'glue', a part number is given. If this is the case, why was the original oil seal not fitted in this way? Cost cutting by VP in manufacture, but advice in the manual to get you to spend even more money? Incidentally, VP want £35 for the oil seal!!!

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 00:07   #3

Re: Volvo Penta 2003 - shaft o-ring from flywheel side replacement

Should have posted this first but a previous post to my above input

QUOTE:

The sump doesn't need to come off - the seal is fitted in the flywheel housing. I don't know whether you could extract the old one and fit a new one without taking the housing off. But if you've gone to the trouble of getting the flywheel off, it's only a case of removing the starter motor and a few bolts to get the flywheel housing off to do the job properly. There are some O-rings to be replaced too. The workshop manual has details on replacing the seal; if you don't have a manual, you can download one here (http://www.bluemoment.com/manuals/vo...002_worksh.pdf).

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, penta, volvo, wheel