Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2015, 08:30   #1

Boat: custom built 21 ft cruiser
volvo penta 2003t no start, no try, no nothing...

hi,
I just acquired a 3 cylinder 28 hp volvo penta inboard. It ran three years back but has been parked ever since. I replaced the batteries, cleaned all the connections but when I try to start it, nothing.
There are no glow plugs on this particular engine, but I do hear a relay clicking somewhere in the engine compartment. It is not the solenoid on the starter. There is power to the solenoid and I'm convinced that if I short out the solenoid that the starter will engage.
I have tried to find definitive wiring diagrams for this engine, but cannot. Does anyone here have an idea where to look?
I don't have a remote starter, so it's a mystery where the clicking noise is coming from. I am sure that it's not the solenoid though.
ideas anyone?
tnx.
waynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 09:05   #2

Re: volvo penta 2003t no start, no try, no nothing...

update. I found the relay. Not sure what it does, but... the relay coil works but nothing happens. I took it out and cleaned all the contacts, but still nothing. Is there a fuse somewhere that I need to check? the fuse block on the top of the engine is fine.
Old 26-07-2015, 09:29   #3

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Look for one of these fuses in the wiring harness. Clever Swedes, you have 4 tries to find the short, and then you're SOL
It's connected with normal 1/4" spade connecters, so any auto parts will have something to replace it with.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 09:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post

Look for one of these fuses in the wiring harness. Clever Swedes, you have 4 tries to find the short, and then you're SOL
It's connected with normal 1/4" spade connecters, so any auto parts will have something to replace it with.
thanks Bill, I have checked that out, all is good there.
Old 26-07-2015, 10:00   #5

Boat: Island Packet 38

You may be hearing a relay for the glow plugs. You need to carefully and systematically check all the wires, cables and connections with a volt meter to see where the fault is, but do yourself a favor and check the battery ground first. Remove the black battery cable from the engine block, cross piece, or whatever, clean it and the mating surface thoroughly and tighten it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jkishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 10:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishel View Post
You may be hearing a relay for the glow plugs. You need to carefully and systematically check all the wires, cables and connections with a volt meter to see where the fault is, but do yourself a favor and check the battery ground first. Remove the black battery cable from the engine block, cross piece, or whatever, clean it and the mating surface thoroughly and tighten it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
thanks for the reply. My engine does not have glow plugs, and I have already checked the ground connections. I was hoping that it would be a quick easy fix like that, but no.
Old 26-07-2015, 10:20   #7

The + wire from the battery usually goes directly to the large post on the starter solenoid. If you jumper from that to the small stud, the starter should engage. Grab a multimeter and start troubleshooting.
Old 26-07-2015, 10:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
The + wire from the battery usually goes directly to the large post on the starter solenoid. If you jumper from that to the small stud, the starter should engage. Grab a multimeter and start troubleshooting.
Bill, there are two small studs. One goes to the alternator, and one goes to the ignition. Which one should I jump to?
Old 26-07-2015, 11:00   #9

Hold on, I'll check
Old 26-07-2015, 11:48   #10

I can't find a wiring diagram, and my boat's 50 miles away. It should be the one to the ignition, but if you jump to a ground wire, you'll fry something. The wires on the ignition switch should be marked, so you might try tracing from there.
Sorry, Bill
Old 26-07-2015, 13:07   #11

I found the workshop manual here:
http://www.82ms.se/workshop_manual_MD11_MD17.pdf
It takes forever to download, but it's free.
It only shows two connections to the starter, so yours may be modified.
Old 26-07-2015, 14:38   #12

thanks for doing that Bill. I appreciate it. Now, for the good news. I found the problem. It the solenoid after all. I loosened it from the starter, and it was totally corroded solid. I have cleaned it up quite well and am about to put it back together. Hopefully the manual shows how it attaches to the bendix lever. It kind of came apart rather quickly and I didn't quite see.
I suspect that the plunger slips over the bendix lever and pulls it when it's engaged. ah... the pleasure of it all....
Old 27-07-2015, 11:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynard View Post
hi,
I just acquired a 3 cylinder 28 hp volvo penta inboard. It ran three years back but has been parked ever since. I replaced the batteries, cleaned all the connections but when I try to start it, nothing.
Check the plate on the engine to find the model # and the serial #. Then we can be a LOT more helpful :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 13:12   #14

Boat: Scout 30

You can have the starter & alternator rebuilt at your local alternator shop. I've had both of mine redone.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 14:04   #15

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynard View Post
thanks for doing that Bill. I appreciate it. Now, for the good news. I found the problem. It the solenoid after all. I loosened it from the starter, and it was totally corroded solid. I have cleaned it up quite well and am about to put it back together. Hopefully the manual shows how it attaches to the bendix lever. It kind of came apart rather quickly and I didn't quite see.
I suspect that the plunger slips over the bendix lever and pulls it when it's engaged. ah... the pleasure of it all....
This is because the friendly Swede engineers placed the heat exchanger directly above the starter and connected the hard piping with painfully inadequate rubber gaskets that push into the HE. Check for leaks on the HE while the 3 banger is shaking around..

Tags
penta, volvo