Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2023, 01:37   #1

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36
Volvo Penta 2030. Do I have temperature sensor or not?

Hi. Please look at the picture of my engine and help me find the temperature sensor? Could it be that it is not there at all, so what is the control panel indicator indicating then? The engine is maybe 18 years old. ~4600 hours. It is running fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2907 (1).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	282234  
Deividas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2023, 10:15   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Volvo Penta 2030. Do I have temperature sensor or not?

Front right corner of engine. Opposite side from pic.

I have a 2020.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2023, 10:32   #3

If you had a temp sender to drive a temp gauge, it would be located in the position of the large hex head plug on the side of the heat exchanger in the center of the photo, right below the “2” in 2030. The temp switch to drive the temp alarm is tucked up behind the alternator.

Any senders or switches on the right front side of the engine are normally oil pressure switches or oil pressure senders.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2023, 10:39   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Perkins M30 Workshop Manual (same basic engine) https://www.dieselmann.no/files/H%C3...%20Manuals.pdf

Volvo Penta Workshop Manual https://www.dieselmann.no/files/H%C3...%20Manuals.pdf
Old 18-10-2023, 14:26   #5

The Perkins and VP engines are basically the same, mechanically, but the electrical systems are completely different.

The basic VP engine model was delivered set up with alarm switches for the oil and temp alarms, but no senders to drive oil or temp gauges. There was a sender kit which was available which provided senders for both oil and temp gauges, and the temp sender was mounted as described up thread.

The wiring harness which came standard on the engine included wiring dropouts for those senders, but the dropout wires for the senders were tucked back into the harness and out of the way.
Old 19-10-2023, 00:47   #6

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
If you had a temp sender to drive a temp gauge, it would be located in the position of the large hex head plug on the side of the heat exchanger in the center of the photo, right below the “2” in 2030. The temp switch to drive the temp alarm is tucked up behind the alternator.

Any senders or switches on the right front side of the engine are normally oil pressure switches or oil pressure senders.
Thank you for your detailed comment. Does this mean that I can place an additional temperature sensor in the location you have indicated. Let's say this one - https://www.svb24.com/en/kus-water-t...sor.html#21574
Deividas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 07:49   #7

Yes, you can install a temp sender into the location mentioned in the thread above. The physical dimension of the sender is M18 x 1.5 thread and it should be a single pole sender as ground returns thru the engine block. The length of the standard VDO sender is about 20 mm past the end of the thread. The thread is a straight thread and it seals with a copper washer. The ohms resistance of the sender must match the gage that you plan to use.

There is a light brown wire connector tucked into the harness that contains all the alternator wires. Fish it out and connect it to the sender. This wire will run all the way to the instrument panel and make it easy to get the wiring done, assuming that all wiring is from VP. Because it sounds like you don’t have a VP instrument panel with a temp gage, the brown wire will end at the panel connector, and will have to be taken out of the panel end of the connecting harness...not a big thing to do.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2C8C589-818D-453D-9B1C-78A9354F5241.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	282313  

Tags
penta, sensor, volvo