Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2022, 03:25   #1

Boat: Mapleleaf Sailing Cruiser 23ft
Volvo Penta 2b

Ahoy ! Operating the throttle lever on engine it does not vary speed on initial start up after rebuilding heads/barrels. Looking inside crankcase I can see the items here-(GOVERNOR AND INSTALLATION COMPONENTS MD11, MD11 on the Marine Express site)- but it seems to be flapping in the breeze and makes no sense ! The vertical shaft has an eccentric coupling and below is a butterfly wing shaped flap which I presume touches the centrifugal governor push rod. Nothing seems to connect with the rack. When I push the cold start button down it does not seem to engage with anything. Loads of 'lost motion'. Engine plate says MD2B but it looks more like an MD11 with alternator and starter. All very Swedish to me ! Can I say that now we are out of EU ?
jimthesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 03:46   #2

Re: Volvo Penta 2b

Is there a question in there somewhere?
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 04:49   #3

Boat: Mapleleaf Sailing Cruiser 23ft
Re: Volvo Penta 2b

Gottit ! Rack was seized and stuck in low speed position (forward) and the rest of the gubbins 'blows around in the breeze'. It appears, if anyone else is puzzled, that there are three levers hanging off the throttle spindle that give governed speed. The bottom butterfly wing 'jobby' is pushed by the governor pushrod in the end of the camshaft, this rotates the centre plain lever by means of a dog clutch arrangement (not visible) and this in turn bears on the rack lever This rack lever rests against a stop below the cold start button which drops to allow extra fuel but springs back up when the engine revs. The actual variable speed control is achieved by the three levers hanging off the throttle spindle being eccentrically mounted so, when the throttle spindle is operated the whole 'shebang' moves forward loading up the governor to allow the rack to move further open (aft) At rest it all 'blows in the breeze' ! It's not a Lister !
jimthesail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo