Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 12:00   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO 40' DS (2005)
Volvo Penta D-2 55 (B) - Problems in reverse

Hi all,
Have a strange problem with my engine/transmission.
volvo D-2 55 (B) 2004 - 1200 hours .
When I engage to reverse, half of the times in will engage but trying to rev. ,
engin will go only up to 1500 rpm rather than 2800 normally. Half of the time as I mentioned,it will engage and rev up to the max.rpm. Going forward shows no problem at all. When in reverse and throttle fully open , engine shows no sign of unburned diesel and no smoke evident at all although throttle pushes all the way up !
When I engage to reverse, sometimes I hear a strange "KLANG" from the transmission but it always engages correctly.
In this situation I feel a bit unsafe because my breaking power is limited.
Reverse gear fluid replaced in time.
Throttle mechanism is perfect and so are the shift cables.
Reverse gear MS25A-A (2.33), Kiwi 3 blades fethering .
Anyone onboard that can help ?????
Thanks
Alex49
alex49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:20   #2

Re: Volvo Penta D-2 55 (B) - Problems in reverse

If you have a single lever throttle and shifter mechanism, it sounds like the mechanism has developed a problem that doesn't fully advance the throttle cable when shifted into reverse.

Perhaps take the boat to open water and play around shifting forward and reverse until the problem occurs, then check the action and position of the throttle cable.

Alternatively could something cause the prop blades to remain in the "feathered" position and not move to the reverse position? Acting more like a paddle wheel and restricting RPM...

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:42   #3

Hi DougR,thanks for your reply.
I actually tried what you suggested being attached to my mooring place - shifting forward and reverse.
As I mentioned before, problem with the reverse would happen half the times and it will usually go together with a somehow strange "clang" from transmission. I went through all joints and moving parts of the throttle mechanism,oil and grease.it works perfect and the rev. arm on the engine is pushed forward all the way but engine will not rev.over 1500 rpm.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:48   #4

Boat: Hanse 385, 37 feet.

Hi,
I am facing the same problem. The engine is a D2-40 and the propeller is a kiwi prop.
Did you find a solution of your probelm?
Best regards
Svein, a sailor from Norway
Hanse385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 23:18   #5

Hi Svein,
I actually solved the problems.
Two month ago boat was out for a bottom treatment. I am doing it once in 4 years since I keep clean bottom by diving myself.
Problem was with the Kiwi prop that most probably does not like this long interval between prop greasing. It was almost dry-no grease . I cleaned the whole prop,took wings appart and feel with new marine grease.When back to the water, problem was out - just perfect.
I am rather sure that prop was somehow stuck at the highest thrust and that
was the reason for the problem: no ability to go high rev. in reverse & sounsing a nasty "klang" while engaging into reverse.
As I said,perfect now,no sign for problem.
If I would have to give advice I would recommend to check prop area (as it happened with me) including a possibility that something was trapped by the prop like a fisherman wire/nailon/net.
Let me know if I can help any further.
Best Regards
Alex Danciger
Herzliya Israel

Tags
penta, volvo