Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2020, 23:45   #31

Re: Volvo Penta D1-30 Rubber Cushions - any alternative ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotdoino View Post
Hi Kostasc, have you been able to give the Vetus a try yet? Also, how easy were they to fit?

Hi,
Vetus cushions tested at dry (not at sea yet) and performed fine. Except at the engine start and stop, no other vibrations .As expected.
In order to fit them, i've installed new iron base plate with a 10mm thick, 8cm wide base to accommodate them at the right place.
In a few days hopefully i'll test them at the sea, so i 'll post my impressions.
kostasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 12:25   #32

Boat: Ranger Tug R21EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostasc View Post
Hi,
Vetus cushions tested at dry (not at sea yet) and performed fine. Except at the engine start and stop, no other vibrations .As expected.
In order to fit them, i've installed new iron base plate with a 10mm thick, 8cm wide base to accommodate them at the right place.
In a few days hopefully i'll test them at the sea, so i 'll post my impressions.
Hi kostasc,, Any update from your "sea run"? I'm getting close to needing another set and do not want to use the cast aluminum style if I don't have too. Did you notice a difference in engine or hull vibration between the two sets when idling or in gear but at low RPM's (850-1100) ??? I would like to reduce my engine vibration in this rpm range as I'm trolling most of the time but do not want to increase the vibration felt through the hull. Not sure that's even possible but one can always hope.
Newf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 15:07   #33

Hi. I don't have a good comparison with old ones as when i bought the boat, they where already broken.
But, I see no problems and any serious vibrations at low rpms. Surely is more in low rev than high, but something that cushions can equalize in a very acceptable level.

If I had to decide without taking in account the cost, I would buy the original ones. They seem to me softer and it's like the engine flowing on there rather sitting on rubber.

If there is any other help or test I can do, please ask freely as it would be quite easy for me the next days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf1 View Post
Hi kostasc,, Any update from your "sea run"? I'm getting close to needing another set and do not want to use the cast aluminum style if I don't have too. Did you notice a difference in engine or hull vibration between the two sets when idling or in gear but at low RPM's (850-1100) ??? I would like to reduce my engine vibration in this rpm range as I'm trolling most of the time but do not want to increase the vibration felt through the hull. Not sure that's even possible but one can always hope.
Old 20-08-2020, 16:37   #34

Quote:
Hi. I don't have a good comparison with old ones as when i bought the boat, they where already broken.
But, I see no problems and any serious vibrations at low rpms. Surely is more in low rev than high, but something that cushions can equalize in a very acceptable level.

If I had to decide without taking in account the cost, I would buy the original ones. They seem to me softer and it's like the engine flowing on there rather sitting on rubber.

If there is any other help or test I can do, please ask freely as it would be quite easy for me the next days.
Thanks kostasc. The type I have is definitely softer. Due to the design of the mount and with the higher engine vibration at low rpm's, the rubber tears away from the top of the casting and crack growth in the rubber continues to a point when it needs replacing. At $900 CDN they are not cheap.

Also, thanks for the offer for further checks but nothing that I can think of.
Old 20-08-2020, 17:15   #35

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Here in oz ,we have poly flex mounts for all engines petrol ,diesel, electric ,unbeatable customer service ,plus drive savers i.e flexible couplings ,having used these products for commercial and pleasure craft of all hp and tonnage ,I as a professional shipwright boatbuilder have used these units over 35 yrs .ps I have commercial or professional ties with poly flex .
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 17:29   #36

Ps should read that I have NO ties with poly flex
Old 20-08-2020, 20:07   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
Here in oz ,we have poly flex mounts for all engines petrol ,diesel, electric ,unbeatable customer service ,plus drive savers i.e flexible couplings ,having used these products for commercial and pleasure craft of all hp and tonnage ,I as a professional shipwright boatbuilder have used these units over 35 yrs .ps I have commercial or professional ties with poly flex .
Thanks Searles

I am currently checking out Isoflex mounts but will give these a look as well.
Old 20-08-2020, 23:27   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf1 View Post
Thanks kostasc. The type I have is definitely softer. Due to the design of the mount and with the higher engine vibration at low rpm's, the rubber tears away from the top of the casting and crack growth in the rubber continues to a point when it needs replacing. At $900 CDN they are not cheap.

Also, thanks for the offer for further checks but nothing that I can think of.
Hi Newf1,
The rubber cushions i used is Vetus KSTEUN50, for engines with weight no more than 50kg per mounting.
As i've seen in vetus shop, a similar engine to D1-30F (135kg) they where with the softer KSTEUN40 with weight no more than 40kg per mounting (and seemed very flexible). But seller insisted to use KSTEUN50 as the proper one.

If the Vetus cushions suit on the same holes, why not try them.
price was about 55euro each
Old 07-10-2022, 21:18   #39

Boat: Beneteau First 35s7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
Thank you Searles, I also heard good stories about them. Since you have probably used hundreds of them, which one of the Polyflex mounts is a direct replacement of the Volvo #3888806 cushions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MountFront.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	265449  

Beneteau First 35s7 / Auckland, NZ
f4tyogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 21:20   #40

Quote:
Hi Newf1,
The rubber cushions i used is Vetus KSTEUN50, for engines with weight no more than 50kg per mounting. If the Vetus cushions suit on the same holes, why not try them.
Hi kostac, did you try the Vetus ones? How did it go?

Beneteau First 35s7 / Auckland, NZ
Old 07-10-2022, 21:50   #41

E mail pollyflex with the part no ,they will tell you there direct replacement for those parts ,verry good and prompt service in my experience .⛵️⚓️
Old 08-10-2022, 00:03   #42
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
simplest answer....

R&D Marine Ltd.
Meadow Works
Clothall Road
Baldock
Herts
SG7 6PD
England
Telephone: +44 (0)1462 892391 Fax: +44 (0)1462 896448

Only if on U.K. after Brexit U.K. suppliers are largely useless
Old 08-10-2022, 00:04   #43
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suliwar View Post
Last winter we had to replace the engine-mounts of our 40year old 55HP Volvo Penta engine, and bought commercial off-the-shelf mounts for totally 70Euro. The new ones worked perfectly this year, better than the original ones. Criteria for selecting engine-mounts: 1) mechanical compatibility (distance between mounting bolts in the baseplate, height between engine bracket and mounting base, possibly adjustable, upper bolt-diameter). 2) Static weight rating needs to be more than the engine-weight divided by the number of mounts. 3) the softer the better.
Larger height adjustments should be done by adding a distance plate below the new engine-mounts, rather than above at the engine bracket (to reduce leverage).

Where pray tell did you get these mounts
Old 10-10-2022, 18:56   #44

Boat: MIrage 29

I have a D1-20 and I just replaced the engine cushions. That was the biggest ripoff ever. paid CAD$1200 for 4. I will never, EVER buy this again.

There are similar aftermarket that I will for sure use next time... I did follow some recommendations here in the forum, and also did my own research... the following ones are very promising:

https://webshop.vetus.com/en/product...us-flex-engine

or

https://isoflextech.com/products/eng...machinery/210/

The isoflex one lists my engine (D1-20) and yours (D1-30) officially in their page. However, the bolt distance is shorter! be careful!
frajolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 19:12   #45

Did you go for the original mounts once again? Gosh they are a pain for sure, especially at this price.

I am choosing between Polyflex (made in Brisbane) and Isoflex. The Polyflex P#7.5CTF73-20-16(shore 60) is the mount they recommend, and the distance between the bolts is also 140, which is easy. The cost for 4 mounts is just over 1000AUD, which is about the same as you paid for the Volvos.

A similar sized mount from Isoflex falls into the next category up and costs twice the price of the Polyflex one. I reached out to Isoflex to see if I can get a better deal, however I doubt it.

Tags
cushions, grass, penta, volvo