Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2021, 07:28   #1

Boat: Colegate 26
Volvo Penta D2-40F MDI available sensors

I'm trying to find information on what sensor information is even available from the Volvo Penta D2-40F MDI and I'm getting frustrated with lack of documentation.

I've installed a pair of Yacht Devices YDEG-04s on the back of my two D2-40Fs' tachometers, and plugged them into my NMEA 2000 network, and configured them for port and starboard engines (they are not on the same engine network). So far all I'm getting data for in the Garmin chart plotter is RPM, battery volts, and engine temperature, which honestly is a huge leap forward on just the RPM and screaming buzzer that was the default install.

Does this MDI box produce more sensor information straight out of the crate or do I need more sensors on the engine for things like oil pressure and fuel flow rate?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:22   #2

Boat: Southern Cross 39
Re: Volvo Penta D2-40F MDI available sensors

Your engine doesn't have a pressure sensor but a pressure switch, only indicates whether the pressure is in a range or not, you can find the part on this source: https://www.boatclick.co/product/3158 what you need is a pressure sensor which supplies a pressure reading for a gauge. try this part https://www.boatclick.co/product/3159 its a pressure sensor but you will need to connect it to the oil pressure line.
Shelter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo