Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2024, 15:18   #1
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac
Volvo Penta D2-55 Heat Exchanger Replaced

I have replaced my Volvo Penta D2-55B engine Heat Exchanger with the current replacement Part #22898286 which is used on the "F" model engine.

My problem is with the "B" model black box (MDI) which will not reach the attachment point on the heat exchanger due to the short length of the wiring harness. I have read some posts that recommend alternative sites to avoid overheating the box but don't see any reasonable site where it has ended up to secure it to.

Has anyone who has dealt with this replacement know what the answer is?

Thank you.
Old 01-05-2024, 18:27   #2

Re: Volvo Penta D2-55 Heat Exchanger Replaced

Right, so the D2-55 A&B engine had the electrical connection box mounted somewhat further aft on the HE side than did the D2-55 C and onward engines. This connection box on the A,B & C engine isn’t really an MDI box, but is just a connection box containing two relays, an alternator energizing resistor, and a four element fuse. It isn’t heat sensitive like the MDI box on later engines, so it’s not as important to relocate it elsewhere.

There isn’t an easy answer to this question. Either you are going to have to lengthen the wires from the main engine harness to the box, or fabricate a custom bracket to locate the box within the reach of the existing harness. Unfortunately there isn’t a magic bullet to solve your dilemma...
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:44   #3
MJH

Thanks Doug.

From what I have seen/researched there are two items obstructing the attachment to the forward heat exchanger location due to a short wiring harness. One is a small wire going to the glow plugs on the other side of the engine and the other is a thick harness going to the rear of the engine as an RPM sensor...I can't see myself splicing that one. And, if I can't do both of them there is no reason to do the other.

However, if this heat exchanger modification started with the "C" model and the manual page I'm looking at says it is for the A, B, and C...then the RPM sensor harness should fit. I'll have to take another look and maybe disconnect the glow plug wire to see if that gives enough length.
Old 07-05-2024, 11:34   #4
MJH

Update.

Well, I have had a second look and actually took the glow plug wire off as well as re-threaded the RPM sensor around the hoses...still not enough wire wrap to get the black box to the forward location.

When putting the heat exchanger back together I gave priority to the hoses rather than the black box. As a consequence the hoses and cables are not efficiently threaded to their connections. Take note that there is minimal working space on this project.

I have researched the RPM sensor cable and it is the same for all D2-55 models. So, that means it should be able to reach the forward location on the "C-F" heat exchangers. So, I will have to drain the seawater and coolant, remove the hoses, install the black box, and then install the hoses and coolant. Stay tuned.
Old 07-05-2024, 12:52   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
I have replaced my Volvo Penta D2-55B engine Heat Exchanger with the current replacement Part #22898286 which is used on the "F" model engine.

My problem is with the "B" model black box (MDI) which will not reach the attachment point on the heat exchanger due to the short length of the wiring harness. I have read some posts that recommend alternative sites to avoid overheating the box but don't see any reasonable site where it has ended up to secure it to.

Has anyone who has dealt with this replacement know what the answer is?

Thank you.
put anywer,on side of engine compartment, or use imagination
more is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat exchanger, penta, volvo