Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2024, 14:41   #1

Volvo penta damper plate issue

Would be gratefull for some enlightenment on the following:

I am inspecting a penta 2010 from 2006 that has had water inmersion in the flywheel area. I have taken off the bell housing and am now looking at flywheel and infront of it, or inside it, the so called damper plate. I have found six screws (allen head) that I have taken off, that seem to hold the inner part of the damper plate to the flywheel, but the damper plate is still not comming off. On my engine the flywheel, and all the rest of the engine, is electrically isolated from the gearbox, so if I understand it correctly the damper plate consists of two parts, one bolted to the flywheel and the other held on to it with rubber fastenings. I can move the outer part sligtly side to side, and feel that it is held by rubber.
What I don't understand is why the damper plate, with its two parts, does not come off after I have removed the six bolts/screws and I am thinking it might have been "welded" to the flywheel from the corrosion caused by the water (brackish, not salt water, but still).
Should I heat it (or will that damage the rubber?) and spray it with penetrating oil?
And secondly, a bit more embarrasing: For a while I supposed that the outer part of the damper plate could be pulled out and I spent some time prying on it with a screwdriver. This pulled it out slightly, but it was being pulled in by the rubber. I now fear that I might have damaged it doing this and that I may have lost the electric isolation between the two parts.
In summary: does anyone know if there is some more screw holding this thing in place, or else how I should proceed to get it off?
I need it off in order to reach the bolts that hold the flywheel, which I want to take off to clean from rust and inspect the cogs for ware.
Please see images for further clarity.
Most thankfully
P.Hammar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2888.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	290397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2887.jpg
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	290398  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2886.jpg
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	290399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2885.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	290400  

p.hammar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2024, 15:32   #2

Re: Volvo penta damper plate issue

I had the same trouble with the volvo that was in my most recent boat, the engine sat so low to the hull that even a ½ litre of water would reach the flywheel housing… and she had a leaky stern gland. Mine was worse because the gearbox was stuck in the drive plate spline and took a bit of soaking with potions to free it. The plate was a bit of a challenge, it sits in a counterbore and was firmly stuck but after a bit of persuasion it came loose and cleaned up pretty well. The ongoing problem for me is that the gearbox oil seal was in bad shape and I suspect that the rear crankshaft oil seal might also be in similar condition. I put a speedisleeve and a new seal on the gearbox but so far haven’t removed the flywheel and housing, the rear seal on our engines is a big bugger and its under the flywheel housing, plus…. Its a $50 seal. Sadly, my volvo is only very young and still has the factory tags on it…. Showroom condition in every way apart from that damned flooded flywheel housing.
PS…. Those long driveplate capscrews were the biggest challenge, one broke off , one rounded out and the rest eventually surrendered.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2024, 17:46   #3

No additional screws!

Just gonna have to keep soaking it and working it back & forth...
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 14:22   #4

Thank you! It popped out just now! Now I need to learn how to take it apart, but will start new thread.
p.hammar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo