Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2022, 07:38   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)
Volvo Penta MD17 notes

I have an old md17C that I am potentially reviving.
The fuel injection pump (FIP) volume(?) slide ( the final bit on the injection pump after the throttle spindle input has been modified by the governor etc ) was stuck = no fuel.

From my reading this is a common occurrence, and not surprising really, the slide is steel on steel, lubrication would be at best oil mist off the timing shaft.

I looked around for a good source of information for removing the slide control from the slide FIP and just came across information that it was fiddly, difficult, possibly breakable.

So here's what I learnt yesterday on mine.

1st the slide control is just a cuff ,but disengaging it from the slide pin irequires taking off the throttle plate assembly, removing the throttle shaft circlip, and lowering the the throttle shaft about 1.5 cms. Once that is done the cuff has cleared the pin and you can safely begin messing with the FIP removal.

Possibly with an unstuck slide, merely moving the throttle to mid-point, and lifting the pump the cuff might disengage.

I could not move the throttle (well I could move it but the pin was stuck so no way to lift the FIP) so I had to remove the back plate of the housing,
there are no-good pictures around so I would have anyway,

In my case the slide was stuck in off position,* so I removed the cuff, then wrapped a loop of wire around the pin, twisted the wire untill the pin slid towards the mid position.

Once the pin is midway, you can lift the pump a little, rotate the horizontal plane about 15-20° left, and the nifty little FIP pops straight out.

I will post pictures of the various assemblies later.

I made this post mostly to add some information on a little known aspect of these old engines.

*with pin in the off position the pin slide tail bar sticks into and under the engine case, that is why the pin must be in the mid position, the slide tail bar is now within the pump housing
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo