Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2017, 07:04   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Volvo Penta MD2030 Starter Replacement

Looking for a spare starter before this years trip and, of course, have sticker shock over Volvo's pricing. $1041 bucks for a starter motor. The part number is 21302969. Can you steer me towards an equivalent I can purchase or do I have to bite the bullet? The engine is a 2001 MD 2030. Thanks!
Old 18-09-2017, 08:54   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Volvo Penta MD2030 Starter Replacement

Look like this?

Found it on the third click after searching under 'perkins 103-10 starter' from these people for 180.00.

https://www.dieselpartsshop.com/products/8200-0103-starter-for-cub-cadet-oem-pn-138-7454-340-8308

It is likely you can find it for even less with a little more research...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 02:24   #3

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Ebay: OEM Starter Motor Volvo Penta MD2020C MD2020D MD2030A MD2030B MD2030C MD2030D | eBay
$99 Free Shipping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	156356  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 04:37   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Looks like the same starter as used on the MD2020. If so, this is a standard Mitsubishi automotive starter. Mitsubishi model number M002T 47281. I bought one in Panamá for $85. Perfect fit. In service for several years w no problems.

Related thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=139769

Also, starters are very repairable. Quite often its the solenoid that goes first. Take it by an electric motor shop (not to a mechanic...take it directly) to be evaluated.

In my case, since I could pick up a new one at a reasonable price, I bought it and installed the new one, then repaired the old one and kept as a spare.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 10:28   #5

Boat: Coast 30

This situation thus described. Tends to support an opinion that, At Volvo Penta marketing they hold the arrogant presumptive view that anyone who owns one of their diesel marine engines is a committed and dedicated customer to their brand.

Clearly there is much evidence to suggest; That in their view you are not supposed to be an antique engine enthusiast: So you will be charged excessively high prices for any parts you require to keep that old machinery running. Furthermore in an effort to achieve your compliance; twice per year the prices of parts will be increased, incrementally making them progressively more expensive. until you will become so embarrassed to admit that you own one of their older products. because your friends and other boat owning peers will question your business sense and sanity.

Thus their most obvious solution is that you should scrap that old Volvo Penta diesel even if it is otherwise still running perfectly, and buy a sparkling brand new modern improved Volvo Penta marine diesel engine from their extensive Volvo Penta product line. Prices starting from approximately only $10,000. That way you can be proud to brag that you have re-engined with Volvo Penta.

Oh how I hate automotive analogies so commonly used to try to make a point in North America...But while I drive general motors vehicles. I am irked that Ford enthusiasts, know that IF they own a model 'T' ford they can still buy parts. Obviously that company understands that brand loyalty is enhanced by the evidence that their oldest products keep on running. and are displayed thus at show and shine car shows every summer.

There are four events every summer in the Pacific Northwest of classic & wooden antique vessels, The museum copy boards on the dock tell the public all the specifications.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 13:24   #6
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the responses! Since this was intended to be a spare, I may just pull the working starter out and put one of these in and see what kind of service life I get. For $99 bucks verses a $1000 how can you go wrong?
Old 19-09-2017, 13:49   #7

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
For $99 bucks verses a $1000 how can you go wrong?
My point exactly about using alternate parts sources. It may help keep OEM prices more reasonable. It is unlikely Volvo makes their own starter. They may be a custom batch with Volvo name or number, but no engine maker I know of makes their own accessories. It's possible both starters were made in the same factory.

You can buy 10 starters for Volvos price. And the Ebay seller is making a profit at $99.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 14:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
My point exactly about using alternate parts sources. It may help keep OEM prices more reasonable. It is unlikely Volvo makes their own starter. They may be a custom batch with Volvo name or number, but no engine maker I know of makes their own accessories. It's possible both starters were made in the same factory.

You can buy 10 starters for Volvos price. And the Ebay seller is making a profit at $99.
Volvo builds absolutely nothing on the MD series engines...not even the engine itself. They just spray it green and jack up the price.

The starters are off the shelf Mitsubishi, but there are a few OEM parts which are custom built for the engine. Example: the water pump">raw water pump is a Johnson pump, but its a square flange version made just for Volvo...and of course Johnson wont sell you one.
Old 20-09-2017, 07:52   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Volvo builds absolutely nothing on the MD series engines...not even the engine itself. They just spray it green and jack up the price.

The starters are off the shelf Mitsubishi, but there are a few OEM parts which are custom built for the engine. Example: the raw water pump is a Johnson pump, but its a square flange version made just for Volvo...and of course Johnson wont sell you one.
Depco Pump, in Florida, sells the water pump. I gave them the number off the OEM pump and they matched it with a Johnson pump. Price was something like $285, much better then the $500 Volvo wants. When I received the pump, it was identical to OEM....Great folks down there, by the way. Rebuild kit was around $130 I think. Of course, you could bring this down even more if you sourced the seals yourself. Plenty on the web about that...Now I'm on to the alternator. Can't decide to go stock or Balmar...
Old 20-09-2017, 10:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
Depco Pump, in Florida, sells the water pump. I gave them the number off the OEM pump and they matched it with a Johnson pump. Price was something like $285, much better then the $500 Volvo wants. When I received the pump, it was identical to OEM....Great folks down there, by the way. Rebuild kit was around $130 I think. Of course, you could bring this down even more if you sourced the seals yourself. Plenty on the web about that...Now I'm on to the alternator. Can't decide to go stock or Balmar...
Yes, seals & bearings are all standard automotive stuff which you can pick up almost anywhere for a few dollars. Rebuild is easy to do.
Old 20-09-2017, 10:47   #11

This is another reason why I like BETA.

They list out the generic part numbers in the manual for you lowering your TCO, lowering your frustration, increasing trust.

Anyone sailing ICW south in a month or two - my personal experience was calling ahead and BETA delivering a bag of spare parts dockside in Oriental NC at no extra charge. That delivery wasn't at my request -- it was their suggestion to me.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
md2030, men, penta, volvo