Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2022, 01:21   #1

Volvo Penta md22 Flooded

I have a Volvo Penta MD22 which has had its anti syphon block by accident by a mechanic and has filled with seawater. The water was left in the engine for 12 days. The engine wasn't started nefore the water and oil was removed. The company is saying it won't have damaged the engine. We are going to scope the injector bores to check? Any thoughts?
ddt151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 01:41   #2

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48
Re: Volvo Penta md22 Flooded

If the engine has been full of salt water for 12 days it’s toast ,the rings and valves will be seized the electrics all shot ,if the batteries went under it’s even worse,first things first ,lift the engine and transmission ,and strip down .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 01:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
If the engine has been full of salt water for 12 days it’s toast ,the rings and valves will be seized the electrics all shot ,if the batteries went under it’s even worse,first things first ,lift the engine and transmission ,and strip down .⛵️⚓️
I should add that the oil was dropped 3 times and it seems to run well.
ddt151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 01:58   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I have my doubts about compression being what is was before this long internal seawater immersion.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 03:06   #5

Hmmm I’m neutral leaning towards negative on this. I was just on a job with 2 stuck Detroit 8V71’s, one had been flooded and the other was just locked up by the humidity in the exhaust system, mostly the blower but a lot of ugly stuff going on in the airboxes too. So after getting things cleaned up over a few days and barring em over a bit they both started and ran; rough at first but finally settled down and I would have bet money against that outcome.
But the MD 22 worries me because the water in the cylinders goes straight down past the piston rings and onto the crankshaft main bearings ( and probably the conrod bearings) unlike the Vee arrangement on the GM’s and after 12 days of dampness it’s likely/possible/probable that your crank journals and bearing shells have suffered damage but it’s not easy to verify or dismiss this theory because on your engine there’s no way to get a borescope in there to take a look around. Even the lift pump is overhead and there’s no sideplate covers or pushrod gallery access either.
Just run it up and see how it goes I guess..... beware of a sticky valve too, that’s definitely a possibility given that it’s the exhaust valves that were the first to meet the seawater ( then the piston then the bottom end)
Maybe give it a dose of Liqui moly lube oil additive to help her through the “sticky to unstuck” timeframe.
Oh if you have a turbo, that will need an inspection too.
Pete.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 03:09   #6

This was only a vent loop flooding and not an engine room flooding ... right?.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo