Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2014, 11:35   #1

Boat: Stormwind 40 ketch
Volvo Penta MD22L Raw water pump problems

Big hand to everybody! Good forum!

Been reading quite a while and would need some help...

As the title says I have problems with my Volvos water pump">raw water pump. It makes a terrible noise and leaks some water and throws oil all over my engine department. Not nice. So I think it might be broken

After a fast google I found out that MD22L is the same engine as Perkins M50. And because the parts are half of the price in Perkins department, than with Volvo, they look nicer.

So my QUESTION is:
Does anybody have knowledge if these raw water pumps are the same thing
Volvo
Perkins
at least they look like it.

Thanks!
drummer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 12:14   #2

Re: Volvo Penta MD22L Raw water pump problems

Hi There,

The Volvo MD22 engine is a rebadged and repainted Perkins Prima M50 engine (also found in the maestro and montego cars), this is correct. But you would be wrong to assume that the water pump wasn't changed by Volvo in the process (or a few other things). Here's how I know this, I have a Volvo MD22P (Same engine apparently) and I have a different water pump than your picture (mine has the inlet and outlet at a 180 degree angle) so I know that they changed mine. I also know that other MD22 oil filters don't fit my engine (ask me how I know)!

So, that's the bad news (and you've seen the Volvo price)! Your water pump is almost certainly a Jabsco OEM, so perhaps you can find it in a Jabsco catalogue, but it took me a while to hunt mine down, and still it wasn't available easily.

But, the good news is this, the pump shaft has a typical failure mode where grit gets under the bearing seal and destroys the shaft surface, resulting in it leaking water all over the engine. It's not too hard to fix. I even have a link for you: Volvo raw water pump repair

Alternatively, you can probably take the shaft to a machine shop and get one made up in stainless steel for less than the cost of a replacement pump.

J
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 12:19   #3

P.S. I'm not saying that the Perkins one isn't the same, just that you should 110% check before you lay out the cash, because Volvo did change stuff like that.
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:37   #4

Boat: Stormwind 40 ketch

Thanks for the great tips!

Now I just have to start doing
drummer81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, raw water, raw water pump, volvo, water