Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2015, 07:41   #1

Boat: Ta Yang, Fantasia 35
Volvo Penta MD22L Stop Solenoid Issue

Dear Cruisers,

I recently replace the shutdown solenoid in my Volvo Penta MD22L. It is the 'push' type, which appears to, when activated, plug up some recirculation valve and allow the engine to pull fuel into the system.

It has worked perfectly for about 4 months. Then in the last few days, the engine won't start. I've looked for clues & troubleshot only to find that it's likely the solenoid.

The solenoid totally works. It activates when given current (I've checked & double-checked), AND, with the solenoid removed, I can plug up with my finger what I guess to be the valve the solenoid is meant to plug and voila! Starts right up!

Here's a pic of the exact solenoid.

Any ideas? Please!

Sincerely, L.ekiM
LekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 14:48   #2

Re: Volvo Penta MD22L Stop Solenoid Issue

The stop solenoid on the MD22series engines is an "energize to stop" solenoid type. When you turn the key to the stop position the "plunger" on the solenoid pushes down and closes off the fuel passage to the high pressure portion of the injection pump, stopping the engine. When you release the key and current is removed from the solenoid, a small spring under the plunger pushes the plunger back up, allowing fuel to flow and the engine to run. Most likely the spring has broken or was lost when you changed the solenoid, so the plunger will not lift up and open the fuel passage.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo