Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2021, 05:36   #91

Boat: 45' SV
Re: Volvo Penta MDI (Black Box) failures

Just a note from the field: my circa 2012 MDI box has been recently exhibiting a symptom I have seen in many of these threads. The tach/start panel would go dead when at the first 'crank' of the starter motor. Turning the engine switch on and off would often get it to work. I have been really 'snapping' the battery switch to ensure good a good connection inside the switch and with this everything works fine. It *seems* in my case that the issue may (hopefully) be a corroded battery switch and not the MDI box.

The battery switch is made by Roca and is the type that allows the 'key' to be removed. They seem to be more prone to corrosion as I'm having that issue with a 2nd (identical) switch as well.
Downeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 06:51   #92

Has anyone had luck finding a dealer that will ship the recall replacement?

The dealers around CT either do not answer the phone, do not call back, or are backed up until October.

MDI has been down for a week now. Pretty frustrating.
SunHarvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 08:17   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunHarvester View Post
Has anyone had luck finding a dealer that will ship the recall replacement?

The dealers around CT either do not answer the phone, do not call back, or are backed up until October.

MDI has been down for a week now. Pretty frustrating.
I may be wrong but I don't think any dealer or VP will just give you a new MDI box in exchange for a recalled one. The dealer has to pull the old one from your engine and replace it on the engine with a new one. If you find someone who will just swap it for you please let us all know who it is!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 08:32   #94

I think you are right. I finally found a dealer that can help me.

He mentioned that on a recent recall swap, Volvo rejected the claim after the fact and that the owner was charged over 800 for a new box.

At that rate I will surely eliminate it and install reliable analog gauges.

This whole experience has me pretty sour on Volvo.

QUOTE=redneckrob;3450184]I may be wrong but I don't think any dealer or VP will just give you a new MDI box in exchange for a recalled one. The dealer has to pull the old one from your engine and replace it on the engine with a new one. If you find someone who will just swap it for you please let us all know who it is![/QUOTE]
SunHarvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:40   #95

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 40

A point to note when reinstalling and MDI black box is the the Engine Interface plug is not 'handed' and can be inserted both ways round (see pic).

I learnt this my cost when installing a replacement alternator to run with a Mastervolt AlphaPro III external regulator. The MDI ceased to function and I consequently bought a new one. When I returned to the boat to fit it I noticed the Engine Interface plug fits both ways round. I then installed the old one and it worked fine. I now have a very costly spare!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Volvo MDI plug view.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	259209  
James HR40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:59   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufduck View Post
I am fighting the same foe.
Several people expressed sympathy for VP. Sorry, I don’t. My bigger question is, Who pays the labor cost for the replacement MDI boxes.
At 2550 hrs+/- my port engine MDI croaked. With mine, pressing the power button brought up the text on the lcd on tach. After the usual preheat interval...nothing on lcd. System totally dead. The Volvo tech is half hour away and spent time Troubleshooting eventually by switching the stbd MDI. Yup, MDI is dead. Nope not covered by recall. The MDI stores engine time, so he switched it back.
He installed new MDI PN 23231607...lasted well under 2 hours.
Call dealership and describe the new old problem.
Will send tech out to re-troubleshoot. Is this repair, new MDI covered by warranty? I went through a Certified Volvo service center so I believe that the part is but how about labor? Well...back step, back step.
I can simply buy a new 23231607 and install myself but that voids Volvo part warranty. I don’t blame the dealer for covering cost but I don’t want to pay for it.
Is this the best option? Have them throw in a new MDI and choke down another $200?
Only on a boat would this be tolerated.
Rufduck
I’d rip it out. Aside from going through the same expensive routine of repeated replacements (not at Volvos expense!), it is unsafe. I had it fail at anchor when a sudden squall came up, snatched my anchor out and sent me toward the now-leeward rocks. That’s when you need an engine to start. I had to waste time cycling the battery on and off and not knowing if that would work. Sounds like you have two engines so maybe the consequences aren’t as extreme, but I would not buy another boat that has one on it.
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:15   #97

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

if I can afford, hose clamps too tight !
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 02:16   #98

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 37 2016

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...7&d=1654506516
Re: MDI solution

Converted my D1-30 recently. This is the first working set up for proof of concept. Very untidy as you can see! I am currently working on the proper boxed in neat solution.

Top left: 3 simple car relays (for inside engine bay and inbuilt diodes 40A max 80A) for preheat, start and stop.

Below is power supplies and fusing. 3 amps for the control circuitry.

Below centre are the 3 black cover tubes for engine connection protection.

To the right are the Deutsche plug connectors each 8 cables for stuff from sensors to control panel in cockpit and the other for the command signals from control panel to relay board. (There are spare cables in each in case of future use)

Main power cable in to the board 10mm2 from existing power cable to MDI

Wiring from relays:
Cable rated for 6A 1.5mm2 for the relay to activate the fuel solenoid plus diode to stop back emf.
Cable rated for 33A 8mm2 for the three glow-plugs for preheat.
Cable rated at 2.5mm2 for the starter solenoid.

All parts are obtainable cheaply from any car/electrical supplier place in the world and best of all it is simple reliable at all times.

I drilled my cockpit control panel for 4 SS waterproof push buttons to cover the ignition, preheat, start and stop. I will try and upload a photo a bit later today.
Wizo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:37   #99

Boat: Privilege 39+2'

Watch this, build this, install one (or two), stay off the rocks.. problem solved:

SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:52   #100

Watch this, build one (or two) install them, stay off the rocks. Problem solved:

Old 09-06-2022, 06:03   #101

Whoops duplicate post, first one wasn't showing up for some reason.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:30   #102

As promised my modified control panel with the 4 activation buttons fitted:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...1&d=1654781263
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3D09945A-E5A7-40B0-8A51-3FB910F0E277.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	259266   Click image for larger version

Name:	1691E7D6-4C39-42C9-9221-F30AFCCBA51D.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	259267  

Old 18-07-2022, 18:21   #103

Boat: Spirited 380 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizo View Post
As promised my modified control panel with the 4 activation buttons fitted:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...1&d=1654781263
Wizo, any chance you've got this setup documented somehwere?
toddtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 01:02   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtimes View Post
Wizo, any chance you've got this setup documented somehwere?
Not as a completed circuit diagram. I tried out each required function as a separate circuit and tested it prior to installation. This ensured that as the system built up I did not have to go back and find and fix errors as happens when you build the whole thing and then test.
There was a lot of time spent digging around to get all the info, cable and item specs required.
As you saw from the first picture I posted it looks a bit messy but as I say thats because they are all individual circuits.

This was a project I worked on and off over last winter and the wife and I have been sailing confidently for the first time in over 3 years this summer.
The engine has been faultless and has now done around 50 hours without missing a beat. This coming winter I will make a neat and tidy version!

I can draw up some or all of the circuits individually and PM them to you as you require - just let me know. BTW what engine do you have?
Old 26-07-2022, 19:38   #105

Boat: MIrage 29

Time to revive this thread. Engine with 300 hours, MDI replaced less than 2 years ago via service bulletin (previous MDI was working fine BTW).
Since the service bulletin was executed less than 2 years ago, is this still covered under warranty? it is my understanding that every part that is installed by a volvo authorized dealer has 24 month warranty.. does this apply to service bulletins?
frajolex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Black Box, MDI, penta, volvo