Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2024, 07:40   #1

Volvo Penta MS2V

Recently repaired my MS2V reverse gear. Main bearing nut had failed. This unit is not difficult to understand but very difficult to get info and parts for. Additionally, no shop wanted to work on my unit after it failed and locked up.If you have questions I can share what I have learned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MS2V 1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	289429   Click image for larger version

Name:	MS2V 2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	289430  

JJDGustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 20:39   #2

Re: Volvo Penta MS2V

Well done JJDGustav, I’ve not seen one of those Volvo vee drives before, good that you were able to repair it.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2024, 15:02   #3

Boat: Nonsuch 33

Thank you for the offer of advice! I have one of these in my Nonsuch 33. It is driven by an MD2040. Yes, it's hard to get help, info, or parts for this drivetrain here in the US. I have found the maintenance and repair manuals online, but where do you get parts?

I was thinking about putting a flexible coupling on mine. That got me to thinking about the tiny little space between the transmission and the dripless seal. Then I was looking at some illustrations from the flexible coupling companies and they show them attaching at the rear end of the transmission. (Uh, that's the end that points forward in the boat. Don't know if I'm correct, but I'm using front/rear in relation to the engine, not to the boat. Confusing.)

So that got me wondering how this works. Those couplings are supposed to allow up to 3 degrees of misalignment. Does that mean that the prop shaft is free floating all the way through the lower part of the transmission and is only connected after it exits from the rear? And how in the world does it connect once it gets to the rear part of the transmission? And is there actually 3 degrees of wiggle room in there?

I don't suppose you have photos of it taken apart?

Thanks again, and I hope she's still running well for you!
Old 01-06-2024, 00:01   #4

You’re right, the propshaft is free floating from the coupling to the stern bearing, but there’s a catch….its important that the propshaft is in the geometric centre of the stern tube, its a base starting point for an alignment and your shaft seal will really appreciate it. Vetus have a flexible coupling that can absorb 3° of mis alignment but on that Volvo vee drive you might need more shaft to install one (unless your existing coupling is already long enough) Even then, its unwise to rely on that coupling, far better to get the alignment right because unlike the ZF vee drive, the volvo version seems to have a small exit hole on the shaft seal end and any mis alignment might result in the propshaft contacting the side of the exit hole.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 09:00   #5

Thank you. My engine and shaft are pretty well aligned, so it probably won't be a problem. It's my first V-drive and I was just surprised that the propeller shaft would pass clear through the transmission and actually couple to it at the rear. So I might actually be able to swap to the flexible coupling while sitting in the cabin and not standing on my head in the lazarette? That would be great!
Old 21-06-2024, 07:43   #6

Thanks for posting, I have one of these beasts in my Nonsuch 33 as well. Any advice for maintenance? I'd be interested in finding the manuals too if you have a link.
pnwcruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 10:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwcruising View Post
Thanks for posting, I have one of these beasts in my Nonsuch 33 as well. Any advice for maintenance?
If you're talking about the MD2040, it's a pretty basic small diesel engine. So the most important advice you probably already know: do your routine maintenance. So far the maintenance I've done has just been the usual routine stuff: oil & filter changes, impeller, etc. The hardest thing is access. My engine"room" is pretty tight and I have to practically stand on my head in the lazarette to change the impeller.

If you're talking about the transmission, I know nothing about it other than how to suck out the oil and replace it.

Quote:
I'd be interested in finding the manuals too if you have a link.
I have a paper manual that came with the boat, so no link. But I've also collected up various manuals and other documents that I've found here and there. If you PM me I will send them to you and you can sort out which are useful to you.

I will say that a really big problem with Volvos, in general, is availability and cost of parts. In the US, anyway. Apparently they are better supported in Europe. I have found that http://parts4engines.com has a lot of parts for this engine and at much better prices than you'll pay in the US. They are also very helpful if you email them. But they do ship from the UK, so it's best if you can save up a list of parts to help offset the higher shipping cost.
Old 21-06-2024, 10:19   #8

Thanks, fortunately I don't have the Volvo engine now (replaced with Beta 38). The v-drive is good though, so I'm hoping to keep it going and long as possible!
pnwcruising is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo