Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2012, 20:20   #1

Boat: YS 35'
Volvo Penta question

I realize this question will be hard to answer as I have only very limited information- but here goes. Unknown model and unknown age Volvo- starts fine and seems to run fine. This is in a boat that I am considering purchasing. Boat has been virtually unused in the last 3 yrs. According to the owner, on the last trip he was on the engine ran fine but used oil at a rate of ~1 qt/24 hrs. Not due to burning but leaking. The bilge is a mess. Before I proceed to any kind of offer or survey I am wondering if anyone has ideas on what a common leak point maybe. Could this be a loose oil pan? Bad pan gasket? anything simple?
Sorry I do not have the model or age of the engin at this time. For what its worth the boat is a Taiwan vintage 1982 and of note the original engine was replaced 5 yrs ago with a used Volvo - which is the one in the boat now and presumably was similar in size to the original.
Thanks- appreciate any info or thoughts you may have. Randy
RLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 20:32   #2

Re: Volvo Penta question

We have a 1979 CT41 ketch that came with a 75 hp MD21A Volvo Penta engine. It ran well (except for having to replace the fuel injection pump - twice - due to fine rust from the black iron fuel tanks making it through the filters into the engine. We replaced the engine.......not because of the injection pump......though that was difficult enough, but because when the fresh water pump started leaking....we couldn't get parts. Anywhere. And as we worked to remove it, bolts kept breaking. Too much corrosion.

We replaced it with a Yanmar. Replacing an engine is such a pain......I can't imagine in your case that another, used, Volvo, was used.

Consider the possibility (likelihood) that you'll have to replace the engine, and check out the fuel tanks. Ours were under the settees, relatively easily removed, and we had replacements made of aluminum.

It can be done. If you love the boat..........
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 20:48   #3

Boat: Yachtcraft, Sloop, 34

I have a 1977 Volvo MD6A. I had a similar consumption issue with oil in the bilge. It turned out to be the small plastic tube running to the oil pressure gauge cracked at the fitting. I put an absorbent pad under the engine, started the engine and reved to decent RPM and found a spot on the pad and traced it up to the oil pressure tube. Removed tube and fitting, cut off the end of tube and reinstalled, 3 years later, not a drop. Good luck.
Gybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 20:49   #4

Hi thanks for the reply- I am very new at all of this and am learing quite a lot. Sounds like you dont favor Volvo so much- and the mention of parts being hard to find surprises me- just assumed that the name Volvo being so recognized that there would be few issues- maybe not!
I do like the boat - but having been neglected for 3 years there will be no shortage of projects. It has 2 45 gallon steel fuel tanks- sounds like this can be a problem. Apparently the water tanks are s.s. Total engine replacement could be very expensive- thoughts on rebuild? or in your opinion is it best to replace - maybe with a Yanmar? thanks Randy
Old 26-06-2012, 20:56   #5

Gybe- perfect solution- I hope to be so lucky if I proceed with the boat.
It seems to me that with the rate of oil loss being 1qt/hr it would have to be something like that or leaking gasket. I have always thought diesel engines to be so reliable- we used to have an old Isuzu tractor that jsut kept running for ~25yrs - maybe in a marine setting there are differnt issues. The borker is having the bilge cleaned and after that maybe I can take another look wth mirrors and a good light to maybe locat the source.
Thanks Randy
Old 27-06-2012, 04:06   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLewis
Gybe- perfect solution- I hope to be so lucky if I proceed with the boat.
It seems to me that with the rate of oil loss being 1qt/hr it would have to be something like that or leaking gasket. I have always thought diesel engines to be so reliable- we used to have an old Isuzu tractor that jsut kept running for ~25yrs - maybe in a marine setting there are differnt issues. The borker is having the bilge cleaned and after that maybe I can take another look wth mirrors and a good light to maybe locat the source.
Thanks Randy
On terms of specifically the oil leak the bad news would be a crankshaft seal. My guess is if it was something simple the PO would have taken care of it. A shaft seal is not insurmountable but not easy to do yourself and not cheap to have it done.

You should get an engine surveyor to look at the whole engine. I would get a compression check as well.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 07:45   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

I would ask the seller to sort out the leak first. Then I could re-consider the boat provided everything is clean.

If you are rich, you can get the boat anyways and change the engine if it gives you trouble.

BTW older VP can spit some oil thru the air intake and if this is cleaned otherwise they are fine.

When the compartment is clean, you can tape some nappies below the engine then run it some - you will see clearly where the oil is coming from.

Oil pans for older engines cannot be had, you will have to fix yours or forget about it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 08:12   #8

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Bottom of oil pan may have small rust pin holes. Salt water in the bilge will cause this rust after a few years. Feel the bottom of the pan with your fingers and push hard where you feel rust. If it feels soft or your finger goes through then you have found the problem.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:18   #9

Boat: 1969 allied seawind ketch 33ft

volvo they paint em green cause thats what makes them run especialy if its a 2000 series engine just empty the contents of your wallet into a blender ad rotella 50 puree and pour in to oil fill 2 qts repete every 30 days and replace every major part it will run (mabey)
elutherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:28   #10

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

It could also be something as simple as the spin on oil filter.
Clean the freaking thing and hunt for the leak.
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:29   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by elutherian View Post
volvo they paint em green cause thats what makes them run especialy if its a 2000 series engine just empty the contents of your wallet into a blender ad rotella 50 puree and pour in to oil fill 2 qts repete every 30 days and replace every major part it will run (mabey)
That's a bit harsh especially as you have just been a 2003. There are certainly worse.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 14:14   #12

I've got a Volvo Md22 which leaks oil from the crank shaft seals.
Williamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:53   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FWIW: Here’s Volvo’s “Engine Lay-Up Guide”
http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteCollec...yingUp_web.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo