Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2016, 15:28   #1

Boat: 2006 Lagoon 440
Volvo Penta S130 sail drive clutch slippage

I have two X VP S130 sail drives on my D2-55hp VP engines in my Lagoon 440. The oil in one of the sail drives - about 3200 hrs on the engines, has become darker than normal and I am getting the occasional issue with that box not going in to gear on the first attempt. Anyone with similar experience? I have been told I need a new sail drive, but I am also told there are clutch re-build kits out there. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Will be in Florida by mid January if that helps.
coldar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 17:48   #2

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: Volvo Penta S130 sail drive clutch slippage

YOU DON'T NEED A NEW SAILDRIVE.
Trust me.
The oil discoloration is due to burnt friction material in suspension.
And if you've reason to suspect the other drive is of the same age, now is the time to do it also.
An overhaul kit which includes new clutch plates, seals and bearings too will cost a small fraction of the cost of a new g/box.
If both my eyes went out of action then I'd hire another mechanic to do the work for me.
Even at ?? $100 an hour or more it will still be much cheaper.
IF you bpught a new box you'd be paying for new housings (cast alloy), multiple shafts, gears etc, all of which are 98% chance in perfect order.
Don't forget to get an anodes kit as well and inspect the diaphragm condition for cracks etc.
Up to you.
On edit : buy not only friction plates but the metal drive plates too because new frictions deserve new metals.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 17:58   #3

Boat: 2006 Lagoon 440
Re: Volvo Penta S130 sail drive clutch slippage

Fantastic feedback. That is consistent with the advice of my local dealer. Looking forward to other replies. Col
coldar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, penta, sail, volvo