Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2022, 16:56   #1

Boat: Pretorien 35
VP2003 variable RPM while throttle unchanged

I'm having a weird issue with my VP2003 where the RPM of the engine can change dramatically, plus/minus 1000 RPM, without me touching the throttle. It doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold. When running at low RPM this can sometimes cause the engine to stall altogether. The only other symptom I see is a small amount of diesel coming out with the exhaust water. Any ideas?
cam11585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 07:58   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Albin 25 trawler
Re: VP2003 variable RPM while throttle unchanged

Sounds like a fuel supply problem. How many hours on this engine?

I'm assuming that the fuel tank has sufficient fuel to cover the pickup tube, and that it's not a simple problem of very low fuel in the tank.

You can do the following simple test - get a FRESH, CLEAN container of diesel fuel. Remove the fuel hose from the boat's fuel tank, and submerge it into the portable container of fuel. Now change ALL fuel filters and bleed the system. If the problem is now gone, investigate the fuel tank pickup tube for restrictions [such as a screen installed] or cracks that would allow air into the system.

If the problem remains, temporarily bypass the engine's mechanical fuel pump and install an electric pump. Now bleed the system and see how the engine runs. If the problem is gone, replace the mechanical fuel pump, or permanently install an electric fuel pump. Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam11585 View Post
I'm having a weird issue with my VP2003 where the RPM of the engine can change dramatically, plus/minus 1000 RPM, without me touching the throttle. It doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold. When running at low RPM this can sometimes cause the engine to stall altogether. The only other symptom I see is a small amount of diesel coming out with the exhaust water. Any ideas?
Engine man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 08:15   #3

Fuel issue. But may very well be a clogged tank vent, or obstructed vent hose! Little bugs build a nest in the vent outlet sometimes blocking them. Been there, done that.
When you engine starts doing that, remove the fuel fill cap on deck... is there vacuum there? If there is.... that's your problem.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 10:58   #4

Boat: Pretorien 35

Thanks for the advice. I'll check that out.

Engine has about 1800 hours.
cam11585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 11:07   #5

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Fuel issue. But may very well be a clogged tank vent, or obstructed vent hose! Little bugs build a nest in the vent outlet sometimes blocking them. Been there, done that.
When you engine starts doing that, remove the fuel fill cap on deck... is there vacuum there? If there is.... that's your problem.
And further verification if it runs normally with the cap off.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 11:14   #6

Boat: Columbia 36

If the above doesn't work, pull the fuel line pick up tube out of the tank. It's probably just screwed into the top. If there's a screen at the bottom of the tube, cut it off. You don't need it and all the filtering should be done in the primary and secondary filters where you can change them. Don't know why they put those in there, it's a very bad idea.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot, rpm