Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 17:29   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
OK PLEASE .... nobody get their shorts in a bundle over what I have to say , OK!..this is being said form a very , very humble perspective and in a humbal tone of voice.. and is just my opinion....And I'm never done learning only adding or subtracting learned information.
I greatly appreciate (and enjoyed reading) Stillraining's perspectives on this subject. However, I wish to add a competing perspective in a non-shorts-bunched-up humble/humbal tone.

I change my oil once per year regardless of how many hours show on the log since the last change. The reason for this isn't so much that the oil needs to be changed as it is that I need to propitiate the gods of mechanical tranquility, and the best way to do that is perform the ritual of exchanging dirty oil for clean oil. This not only makes the engine gods happy, according to the dictates of my religion, but it elevates my motoring karma to a level where the diesel magic will work another year so long as I don't do anything as stupid as confusing the fuel deck fill with the water deck fill, which on my vessel are RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER.

And I always use Delo 400 because my gods are multigrade.

Sorry about the thread drift, but I've sworn a holy vow never again to deal with Mercs.
Old 10-08-2009, 18:15   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
How many microns is toilet paper?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 22:58   #18

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Those toilet paper filters are called Frantz filters (still made), and I used to have one on my old 70 Chevy C-20 big block for years.

I used to change the oil on my old Pathfinder diesel engine every 100 hours (in my boat), but I change the oil every three months or 100 hours depending on what comes first. The reason I changed the frequency of oil changes is based on information I got from a man that used to be in charge of motor pools in Desert Storm, and he used to have his own automotive repair shop, and taught mechanics around the world on new changes as a teacher for the Chrysler Corp.

He told me that the longer the oil sits in a diesel engine, the more acids form as the oil mixes with diesel fuel. As the acids build up in the engine it slowly eats at the engine, causing damage to parts and block over time. As he mentioned to me a sailboat may take a very long time to add up a 100 engine hours of time, so the longer that contaminated oil sits in the engine the worse it is for the engine. His recommendation was to change out the oil at least every three months, whether the engine had 100 hours on it or not.

You can do your oil changes whenever you would like, but this is what I do now.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:32   #19

The acids are the reason to run your engine and the reason you hear that a low hours old engine may be worse that a higher hours one. My personal experience with the military and maintenance in the last several years has led me to believe that anything they do might be worth avoiding..... or maybe it's that they dont do anything.....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:53   #20

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I greatly appreciate (and enjoyed reading) Stillraining's perspectives on this subject. However, I wish to add a competing perspective in a non-shorts-bunched-up humble/humbal tone.

I change my oil once per year regardless of how many hours show on the log since the last change. The reason for this isn't so much that the oil needs to be changed as it is that I need to propitiate the gods of mechanical tranquility, and the best way to do that is perform the ritual of exchanging dirty oil for clean oil. This not only makes the engine gods happy, according to the dictates of my religion, but it elevates my motoring karma to a level where the diesel magic will work another year so long as I don't do anything as stupid as confusing the fuel deck fill with the water deck fill, which on my vessel are RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER.

And I always use Delo 400 because my gods are multigrade.

Sorry about the thread drift, but I've sworn a holy vow never again to deal with Mercs.
Way more eloquently put then my garbage..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylube
Those toilet paper filters are called Frantz filters (still made), and I used to have one on my old 70 Chevy C-20 big block for years.
Thanks Jiffylube!.....They have changed the design but does seem to be about the same...We run what we call a "Rag" filter on our trucks..its actual name is Lubrifiner...it does a way better job as well over just a spin on. IMHO

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:55   #21

Yea... frantz... you had to use a specific kind of TP though.... Charmin aint it!
Old 11-08-2009, 13:15   #22

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yea... frantz... you had to use a specific kind of TP though.... Charmin aint it!
Was this true of the original ones we were thinking of as well?...

I am pretty sure it was regular TP guys used...I could be wrong on that..or at least that's was what they were supposed to use and didn't..was probably more likely the case if not then.

I worked at a Philips 66 station going through High school and saw a number of the things on vehicles when I popped the hood...I never did get to service one though so am ignorant about them really. And just have a memory of old DIY'er dudes ( now I are one of thoes ) bragging on them.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 15:02   #23

Quote:
The acids are the reason to run your engine and the reason you hear that a low hours old engine may be worse that a higher hours one. My personal experience with the military and maintenance in the last several years has led me to believe that anything they do might be worth avoiding..... or maybe it's that they dont do anything.....
That sounds like you support leaving the oil in the engine for a long period of time time whether the engine is used a lot or not? I don't favor that approach myself.
Old 11-08-2009, 15:09   #24

Quote:
I'm not sure if Frantz specified what paper to use because it was so long ago I used one, but I thought it was single ply paper, and the role couldn't be to large or it wouldn't fit into the can. If I had a role of paper to large, I would have to pull off some paper to insure a good fit.
Old 11-08-2009, 15:16   #25

"That sounds like you support leaving the oil in the engine for a long period of time time...." No not really, but if you are a boat owner who has lost the time, or sick,or alone now, your boat might sit with minimal hours on the oil or alot of hours on the oil and not get changed.... then a buyer comes along and see's a low hour engine...... I'm not sure it's huge either way...
Re: Frantz....I think it was the one ply paper, the others were too soft or something....man they kept the oil clean though... You'd think there would be a spin on out there....