Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2016, 07:21   #1
KBD

Boat: Pincess 58
Water in diesel

Hi, I'm new to forum so need some help. My boat is a Princess 58 built in UK in 1994 and has four fuel tanks linked by crossovers. Total capacity is 2834 litres.

My problem is that the water and Fuel filler caps are located very close to each other. I recently filled with water on the starboard side, but put the nozzle into the fuel filler pipe. I think I put in about 600 litres before I realised what was happening. Prior to that the diesel tanks were about half full.

I am stuck on a floating pontoon and as I can't start the engines, I shall have to carry out the necessary work there. Obviously I have to drain the tanks, if I can locate the drain plugs. Very limited space in the engine room.

I wonder weather anybody has experienced a similar
problem on a similar boat?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Are the drain plugs easy to locate?
KBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 07:56   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Water in diesel

You should be able to pump most of the water out using a hand or electric pump with a pickup tube that goes to the bottom of your lowest tank. You can then circulate the fuel water through a water separating filter, draining as necessary. There will be some fuel residual in the water so please dispose of it properly.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 08:39   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Every Marina fuel dock has done it, but usually it's putting gasoline in the diesel tank.
If you have a drain, that is great, most tanks don't. You will need to put a pump hose in the tank and get all the water out that you can.
A drain of course if it's at the lowest point, just drain until you get fuel.
Of course Diesel and water do not mix well, and the water will be on the bottom.

When they mis fuel, that mixes and it all has to come out.

Unlikely you will do it again, but I'd color code your caps, blue for water, green for fuel. Or Label them
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 08:39   #4

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Many if not most fuel tanks are built without drain fittings. As in not if but when they will leak.

DeepFrz has it...although, it might be prudent to polish fuel in the tanks to remove any water in suspension.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 08:45   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
You should be able to pump most of the water out using a hand or electric pump with a pickup tube that goes to the bottom of your lowest tank. You can then circulate the fuel water through a water separating filter, draining as necessary. There will be some fuel residual in the water so please dispose of it properly.
Good information. If the pontoon you are on is in a calm area the water will stay mostly unmixed on the bottom of the tank. Unfortunately with the tank capacity on your boat it's going to be a chore. You may have to get a commercial waste disposal or similar company involved unless you want to pump water into 50-60 20 liter jerry cans.

Not sure about UK regulations but fuel tanks generally do not have drain plugs due to the risk of leaks and dumping fuel into the bilges. At best you will have access or inspection ports on the top of the tank. Worst case you may have to remove a fitting like a port for a gauge sender or pickup line to get into the tank. Lacking any of the above you will have to suck the fuel out through the regular pickup lines.

You might contact a local company that advertises fuel polishing and they might be able to take on the job. If you do it yourself and need a place to dispose of the contaminated water see if there is a branch of Veolia nearby. They manage hazardous waste disposal.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 10:43   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Considering the volumes involved, it would be wise to have your boat towed to a fuel depot where the contaminated fuel can be off-loaded and run through a commercial fuel/water separator. One could then "polish the tanks" with a smaller fuel polisher to remove any residual water although that would be a tedious job. Frankly I think trying to pull 158 gallons of water (600 liters) out of 374 gallons (1734 liters) of diesel with a small pump working from a floating mooring pontoon will be a fools errand.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 10:56   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Considering the volumes involved, it would be wise to have your boat towed to a fuel depot where the contaminated fuel can be off-loaded and run through a commercial fuel/water separator. One could then "polish the tanks" with a smaller fuel polisher to remove any residual water although that would be a tedious job. Frankly I think trying to pull 158 gallons of water (600 liters) out of 374 gallons (1734 liters) of diesel with a small pump working from a floating mooring pontoon will be a fools errand.

FWIW...
Considering the volumes involved I think this might be the best course to follow. This would not be an easy DIY project and the potential for spills and exacerbating the problem is very high.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 02:53   #8
KBD

Boat: Pincess 58

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I will probably follow svHYLYTe's suggestion.
Kind regards. KBD
KBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 04:24   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBD View Post
Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I will probably follow svHYLYTe's suggestion.
Kind regards. KBD
Best wishes for a positive outcome.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, water