Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 10:21   #16

Boat: Moody 37
Re: Water leaking from seawater pump

I tried to fix a similar Jabsco pump 2 years ago. There are probably 3 nitrile seals that will need to be sourced and replaced. They are buggers to remove. I ended up damaging the pump body and had to buy a new one anyway! If you are an engineer and can do that sort of stuff, go for it, and good luck!
davewtsnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:22   #17

Boat: Intrepid 9 meter, 29.5 feet

My experience leads me to believe, if the shaft isn't pitted, you may not be able to tell whether or not the seals leak by looking at them. But, if water is coming out of the pump, the seals leak. If there is lateral play in the shaft, the bearings definitely need replacement. A common cause for leaky pumps is running them dry, even briefly. My horrible experience with a water pump">raw water pump was with a leak into the crankcase, but not to the outside. Seal backwards?
Old Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:31   #18

When the shaft is scored by the lip seal but the bearings seem fine, just use a speedi-sleeve on the shaft and replace the lip seal. Speedi-sleeve is under 40 bucks at bearing shops.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:01   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar_x View Post
Yeah, I'm going to tackle it in a couple weeks after when I have some dedicated time to spend on it.

It's going to be interesting for sure...
You need a training session prior to attempting the repair of the only RW pump you have.
I suggest use use the same techniques I have done for the past 50 years in adult technical training courses I have conducted, on something I haven't worked on before. Purchase a used item identical to the one you have to repair and get your experience on that one. Also you have an expendable part if things go wrong or a known good spare, if you get it correct.
Used is far better than new for learning because you get to observe a part requiring repair.
Your tech manuals are absolutely required, but with actual hands on work you will come into the job with confidence and experience.
No one ever started skilled in their endeavors, they were formally trained or they spent many more hours learning by doing.
Setting up a work shop/work bench with tools also requires skills that have to be acquired.
When you learn what is required to repair something you also we be equipped with more abilities to determine if something is practical or economical to repair.
Good luck with your projects.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water