Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2015, 22:36   #1

Boat: Norseman 400
Water pump needed for 1988 Westebeke 46hp

Water pump is done. No biggy. Change it out. Go up to Cook Engine on Hayden Island, Portland Oregon to get one. They want what?! Over $800 dollars for a simple Mitsubishi-painted-red water pump? You gotta be kidding! (Only that's not the word that actually came to mind.)

The Mitsubishi part numbers are missing from the old pump. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 23:06   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Water pump needed for 1988 Westebeke 46hp

Maybe this will help you out...First, Westerbeke is a rip off....period! I rebuilt my W46 and went directly to Mitsubishi in Sacramento, Ca. The engine is a Mitsubishi 4DQ5 which is used in forklifts and tractors. I rebuilt my pump using off the shelf seals and bearings from "Motion Industries". Google 4DQ5 water pump and you will find resources there. Westerbeke also wanted $1200 for an engine gasket set. I got mine from Mitsubishi for $220., I think.
I also learned that Mits is not suppose to sell any arts to you if you tell them you have a Westerbeke. Ya...those guys are real sweethearts!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 23:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Maybe this will help you out...First, Westerbeke is a rip off....period! I rebuilt my W46 and went directly to Mitsubishi in Sacramento, Ca. The engine is a Mitsubishi 4DQ5 which is used in forklifts and tractors. I rebuilt my pump using off the shelf seals and bearings from "Motion Industries". Google 4DQ5 water pump and you will find resources there. Westerbeke also wanted $1200 for an engine gasket set. I got mine from Mitsubishi for $220., I think.
I also learned that Mits is not suppose to sell any arts to you if you tell them you have a Westerbeke. Ya...those guys are real sweethearts!
Yep. Got all that. Now here's the rest of the story...
Bought a new Mitsubishi water pump off the web that is supposed to fit the 4DQ5. However, the damn bolt holes don't line up...1/4" off. Other than that, pump looks like a good quality - made in China like they all are - pump.

Suggestion? Thanks, mate.
Old 31-05-2015, 06:19   #4

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

According to these guys, http://www.cosmic-parts.com/data/art...1833404964.pdf, there're 2 pumps for the 4DQ5,
30445-50010 and 30645-50023. Maybe that's the difference, or a call to the local Cat dealer might tell you a little more.

I kinda like the idea of rebuilding the one you have.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 07:36   #5

Hey Jim - thanks for those part numbers! I'll look it up today. If it works, I'll let the forum know. There needs to be a work-around for such huge mark ups. The auto parts dealers (new and after market) would never get a way with this.

Yep, rebuilding the old one is on the to-do list. We were going to use it for a cruising spare...but not if the only replacement is 8-frickin-hundred-fricken-dollars!
Thanks mates!
Old 31-05-2015, 07:42   #6

By the way...is this the raw water pump or the coolant circulation pump?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 31-05-2015, 07:43   #7

Coolant circulation pump.
Old 31-05-2015, 09:18   #8

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I had the same issue on my 42B I ended up getting a Vetus pump for about $
150 that fit perfectly
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 09:34   #9

try Depco Pump Company they may be able to help, too.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 10:18   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24

This has been a source of heartburn for me as well. I absolutely refuse to deal with Cook.
Recently rebuilt my Universal M25xp for our Cape Dory 31 and needed an oil pan and water pump(circulating). Cook Engine on Hayden Island wanted over $400 for the oil pan and near same for water pump. BTW I'd also suggest pump rebuid.
I got the oil pan through Kubota dealer for $54 and pump for $95. Same with rings, bearings, gaskets etc. Far far less cost.
Engine runs like a top.

Universal Westerbeke etc. have a pact where they are trying to force people to have no choice but to go through them and gouge us "wealthy" boat owners. It is illegal under fair trade laws but who has the means and organization it takes to hold them accountable?
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 11:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xthewater View Post

Universal Westerbeke etc. have a pact where they are trying to force people to have no choice but to go through them and gouge us "wealthy" boat owners. It is illegal under fair trade laws but who has the means and organization it takes to hold them accountable?
Who cares when you CAN and DO just go to Kubota?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 20:28   #12

Thanks Stu and X -
The hunt begins in earnest tomorrow morning. Thanks for the link.

I have no idea how Cook stays in business. Seriously. Everyone there acts like they're in prison serving out a life sentence. You see a guy on the dock with a Cook logo on his work shirt and he looks likes he's just been tortured. No spunk. No smile. No reason.

If we didn't want go go cruising, we could open up a friendly, price conscious/fair market "Sailor647 Marine" and put Cook and Schooner Creek out of business. But, we don't wanna. We're going cruising now. It floors us both that there isn't a reputable, market-value-not-gonna-rape-you marine service business in Portland.

The need is strong in Portland Oregon. (Insert Yoda here.)
Old 31-05-2015, 22:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
Coolant circulation pump.
I thought it was the raw water pump. I wouldn't even bother with a new circulation pump. Nothing goes wrong with them other than the seals and bearing. Its just an impeller that touches nothing. A standard pump rebuilder did mine for $90.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:10   #14

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xthewater View Post
Isn't that illegal and anti-competitive? There are lots of examples of companies that make pacts like this that get sued by the FTC.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:51   #15

Went to Forklift Services in Portland yesterday with both part numbers. According to their database, they don't show a pump with either Mitsubishi number existing in the entire United States. The part has been discontinued. There was an after market pump in Japan for $600 and some change with one of those numbers, but since we weren't sure which pump we actually needed we didn't order it.

So, I took the original pump to Auto Friction Company in Damascus, Oregon to get it rebuilt. They have been in business for decades. The ole guy told me it should be about a week. The mom-and-pop company is literally a mom-and-pop + daughter company. We're hoping the sweet old guy lasts long enough to get the pump finished.

Cook Engine said Westerbeke only has two remaining pumps in their inventory. Guess what? Yep. I bought one. (Damn!) Two reasons: Even though our engine is 27 years old, it only has 1520 hours on it and the compression tests were perfect. And we're going cruising. Having a spare water pump is gonna be cheaper, easier, and quicker than a installing new engine in the South Pacific. (No, I don't want to install one here.)

My wife had just come back from an expensive trip to the grocery store when I told her the pump news. She said, "We gotta stop spending like drunken sailors!" I made her feel better when I said, "Honey, we ARE drunken sailors."

Tags
water