Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2014, 15:39   #76

Re: Way Over Propped but it Works, is it Safe?

Hello Morrissey:
I posted this a few hours ago and it disappeared.
I have a friend coming over in a few days from the states.
If you can suggest a particular maker of pyrometers you will save me endless research in a crunch as I need to get a pyrometer shipped to him quickly.
Please see the attached photos of the shop manual.
These show the water cooled exhaust manifold, pretty hard to a tap a pyrometer into !
There are 4 ports at the base of the turbo, and plug 33, I believe is dry and plugs into the exhaust stream just below the turbo., it could be over sized to accommodate a probe. The hole number 33 is tiny at about 1/4"
If I use the ports in the pedestal of the turbo, they are split from top to bottom by a web, so I may two sensors ?

If that does not work, please try here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nifold%202.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e%20detail.jpg
Thanks
Larry
ti325v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 15:44   #77

Boat: Seafarer36c

I just looked at a picture of this engine in an early post and it might be failing so soon that all this interest in prop pitch is wasted. The unsupported oil hose to the turbo is laying on the exhaust manifold. I would not leave the dock with this set-up.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 15:52   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I guess I'll bow out then, sorry. Didn't mean to mess up your thread,

But you do have a few on here with some Diesel experience, especially turbos, I believe I recognize one from the Dieselplace.com, I'm sure there are others
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 17:27   #79

Larry
I cant find the invoice for my new pyro probes, and I already had the gauge for twin engines.

Exact details for installation etc is beyond my experience and I am reluctant to advise you on that. If I were to guess then location 33 looks right to me. Brands might not be that important, getting one with small enough thread size is the thing to chase. I would be wary enlarging the hole at 33 unless someone with specific knowledge says its ok.

For a diesel mechanic or engineer its all prob simple stuff, so hopefully if one of the previous posters has the know-how, or a new poster, they will chip in and help out. If no luck here, and you still cant get onto boatdiesel.com then try the Trawler Forum as they will have a higher percentage of big old diesel engine owners than here. Sorry I cant be more help on this aspect.
Old 26-08-2014, 21:52   #80

First, gentlemen, my apologies especially to a64pilot...Of course all opinions are welcome.
I simply did not want to get off track with Morrissey who not only said what he said, but gave me all the rational behind it.
Please do not think I am ungrateful. I sincerely am. I am also very frustrated, as I mentioned before with people who were piloting my boat in their conditions, so yes I was sharp and I am sorry.
This thread was cross posted over to trawlers forum, with the implication that I was going to blow my engine up, and what I interpreted as "Hey guys, lets go and have a laugh at this idiot" ....This was very frustrating to me as everybody had an opinion, but nobody would listen.
Morrissey has been very helpful with his time and advice, and I am approaching a deadline, heck the potential new prop was sitting at my feet.
Apologies.

Morrissey.
Thank you for taking this as far as you can. Your clarity and pragmatic approach to the problem have been priceless.

I have asked my Captian and in 25 years on boats here and he has never seen a pyrometer, so I want to source one from the USA, this is the reason I asked for your suggestions.
That is my subject to learn something about....I will go and look at that manifold, take some photos and contact some manufacturers.
Thank you all again.
Old 26-08-2014, 21:59   #81

Hello Guy:
Old photo, the situation has been rectified, thanks for pointing it out.
Old 27-08-2014, 05:04   #82

Larry
I was curious about what EGT's should be, and got onto boat diesel for some info. Tony Athens is highly regarded contributor there, and one of the forum moderators, and here is what he says about a Cummins B series engine:
I've attached the late 370 curve with factory specs.........egt at "rated" is 890F and boost is just over 30PSI...............Propped to see an honest 3100 to 3175 ( which is where I'd like to see you be), you should see numbers very close to these at WOT.............If you just squeak 3000 RPM, you may see a higher egt at RPM's below this, or at RPM's where your boat is (or if is ) struggling to get on plane...........Keep in mind that instrument accuracy can vary and engines can vary by 3-5%-- When Cummins does these curves, they pull a "random" engine off the assembly line for testing which, to me, gives a much better overall view of engine performance, in my opinion......

What would be nice to see?---------How about 3150 WOT loaded, 2200-2500 "happy cruise" , 20K to 26K, egt's below 850F at any RPM with around 750-800F at cruise, and "cruise boost" below 17 PSI...A lower egt's is even better, although for any extended running, it takes about 600F to keep things clean up top.........With numbers like that, good PM, and an overall duty cycle below 35%, these engines will easily go 35,000+ gallons each of #2 before rebuild time..............Keeping your engine room dry and your engines above 75-80F year around with heaters, will only help insure that you are still happy 10+ years from now..

As to suppliers, ISSPRO seemed to get a lot of mentions at boatdiesel but their website didn't have any complete kits that I noticed. Here is another site that had a nifty looking kit for marine application:
EGT Digital Pyrometer Gauge + Probe Kit - Marine Engines
They refer to 1/8 NPT thread, so you location 33 might be fine. If not a weld bung is included in the kit. Good luck!
Old 27-08-2014, 06:40   #83

Hello Morrisey:
Thanks again, no questions this time, just letting you know that a closer scrutiny of the parts book has revealed this under the "Accessories" section.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ermocouple.png

Apparently in the turbo version there are 2 thermocouples with a max temperature of 620*c.
The non turbo version calls for 6 thermocouples, 500*c
I think located at each of the exhast manifold inlets as pictured in my other post. The threads are defiantly bigger in the manifold, as in the drawing.

I think it is safe to say my egt must be some where below 620*C, and now I have to find where those little buggers get installed....with a pair of them..I am of the impression that they would go into the base of the turbo, one in each port going into the hot side.
I have an email out to the company you suggested, which also came up first in my search.
THX !